jma

Heater Matrix Blow out

Hi Guys,

Took the car for a spin on Saturday being that the weather was awesome its been garaged for 6 months. After I parked it up there was steam/mist and noticed water in the driver side footwell. I know its the heater matrix does anyone know a recommended mechanic in Birmingham to fix this problem and how much it may cost. Also advice on which make of heater matrix is suitable, the control on the blower only works on 4 would it be best to get this looked at the same time as the heater matrix.

Your help is appreciated.

Heater matrix replacement won't come cheap.cost is in the labour as it's a long job. Replace with a mk3 golf one from the premium gsf range, I forget the manufacturer. Heaters only working on 4 is a thermal resistor and very cheap/ easy to replace. Have a look in the wiki section for the guide mate.

Jon

To be honest I dont have the tools and a bit worried I may mess it up!

Jon

To be honest I dont have the tools and a bit worried I may mess it up!

JMA -

I hadn't a clue how to take a car apart or change anything remotely mechanical in a car, but I took the "What could go wrong" approach. It's a fairly straight forward job taking the dash out, it's just a bunch of clips & screws, just remember to label up all the electrical connections and take pictures if you need.

It took me around 7 hours to do. There are lots of guides around with step by step pictures. It even gave me chance to give it all a good clean behind the dash from the perished foam etc behind.

Jamie

Whilst you have it apart, replace all the foam on the heater box diverter flaps.

Also be very careful with the centre console (the plastic moulding that houses the switches, radio, heater controls) The fixing hole tabs are, like any 20 year old plastic, getting brittle so are quite likely to break if you are ham-fisted.The most likely to break in my experience are the ashtray housing tab and the four mountings for the heater panel.

Best wishes

RB

I have been quoted £150 supply and fix for the heater matrix does this seem right. The mechanic has been recommend by my friend who has a camper van and has been using this guy for 6 years.

Thats not too bad a price tbh. The Matrix itself (assuming they will probably use a cheaper alternative on trade unless you specify otherwise) will probably cost them about £30. Its easily three hours taking the approach of not removing the dash, so that's pretty standard at £40 hr labour charge. If it takes them longer due to the fact they don't know the ins and outs of a Corrado, well thats their problem!

Thats a good shout below.

Edited by seanl82

Sounds like a bargain to me, cash job I take it? The matrix is around £40.

I'd send the tech a link to a guide as it might just save broken obsolete plastics and him some time too

Hi

Had the heater matrix replaced today the chap who replaced it used a Valeo. Just have another issue found another leak and this seem to be coming from the thermostat housing and I have not drove it. Guys I will be replacing the thermostat housing but at the same time should I put in a new thermostat and the temperature sender?

Your comments are appreciated

Also forgot to mention the metal that goes into the top of the radiator has a small pin size hole can this be repaired using a metal hardner paste?. Having spoken to the mechanic who replaced the heater matrix today he said due to the thermostat leak this must have created a air lock in the system and cause the heater matrix to blow.

Well it was a 20 year old part no bad really.

Well worth replacing the stat, it's a common point of failure in itself so worth doing now. what metal part do you mean? The Rad elbow that goes to the top hose is usually plastic, unless you have a gruvenpart one? (assuming that's what you're talking about). I wouldn't recommend using sealing paste from the exterior of it, it's unlikely you'll get a proper seal, and even if you do, I doubt it'll last very long at all. Even worse is to use rad seal that you put into the coolant. Heard a few disasters occurring because of it, although probably to do with very old coolant too.

I will change it, your right its radiator elbow that goes to the top hose can these be bought?

I have been quoted £150 supply and fix for the heater matrix does this seem right. The mechanic has been recommend by my friend who has a camper van and has been using this guy for 6 years.

Hey

I only take mine to Dub unit in Fazeley, Matt is my best friend :)

DUBUNIT:

Address: Tolsons Mill, Lichfield St, Fazeley, Tamworth B78 3QA

Phone:01827 288778