robrado974

Handbrake grip removal help

Hi all , i cant seem to remove my handbrake grip ? , i thought there was some kind of clip to hold it on . The two bits of plastic at the opposite end to the release button look like they are broken . Ive got another one to fit that i have refurbed . Is it just tight or is there a knack to removing it ?

Many thanks ,

Rob

It's a tight fit. Give it a good yank... Be prepared to grate your hand on the radio when it lets go

How did you refurb it Rob? Mine is really annoying me, and I've been on the lookout for a new one for a few weeks now.

The main clip is on the underside of the handbrake grip.. I think you can insert a screwdriver or similar to release it but it is a meaty clip and doesn't like to let go easily. One on the top is tiny so ignore that.

Thanks Owen ,i wil try not to put my hand theough the head unit when it free's itself lol.

I used plastic paint Sean , with a couple of coats of lacquer over the top . It looks fine to me , mine was a bit scetchy to be honest . Been looking for a while too mate , trouble is all of them are going to be worn .

Rob

EDIT thanks Dragon for the pics nice one , thanks for your info too Jim . Im off to attack it now .

Edited by robrado974

Thanks mate, not an option for me unfortunately. The leather is pretty trashed and fraying around the button. New one needed tbh, although I'm pretty sure they're obsolete. I've not looked into it properly tbf, just been keeping an eye out on ebay etc.

Thanks mate, not an option for me unfortunately. The leather is pretty trashed and fraying around the button. New one needed tbh, although I'm pretty sure they're obsolete. I've not looked into it properly tbf, just been keeping an eye out on ebay etc.

Ditto, mine is frayed to buggery n'all, been looking for a replacement for a while.

Job done , with a bit of gentle persuasion from mr hammer , mine was not connected to the other part . Thanks for info

I think we are really going to struggle to find a decent one .

Rob

How did you refurb it Rob? Mine is really annoying me, and I've been on the lookout for a new one for a few weeks now.

I have one in very good condition along with the plastic cover (retrimmed in black alcantara) pm me if you're interested. I've just fitted a mk4 anniversary one and haven't got round to figuring out how to list an item for sale using panjo yet.

If its just the leather that has warned away on the handbrake handle, why not just remove the old leather and fit a new piece on.

I bought this one and re trimmed it myself, its not hard.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/black-stitch-FITS-VW-CORRADO-88-95-LEATHER-HANDBRAKE-HANDLE-COVER-/351000479569?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item51b9424751

Fitted5_zps9c1ac587.jpg

If its just the leather that has warned away on the handbrake handle, why not just remove the old leather and fit a new piece on.

I bought this one and re trimmed it myself, its not hard.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/black-stitch-FITS-VW-CORRADO-88-95-LEATHER-HANDBRAKE-HANDLE-COVER-/351000479569?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3ACorrado&hash=item51b9424751

I ordered one of those. Arrived and fitted today :thumbleft:

A tip for fitting these, is to wet the leather once fitted on the handle and then grip it with your hand to shape it for the finger pattern. Just squeeze it to get the water out as much as you can, then let it dry before fitting.

For that OEM finish