Sign in to follow this  
STORM 2

Z-Engineering Supercharger Conversion

anyone done this or got any experience of this (being offered by Stealth)

Sounds tempting not least because it seems a reversible mod

Yes it's very easy to fit. The charger is held on by a bracket on three steel studs screwed into the head where the auxiliary belt tensioner is located and a new tensioner is bolted onto the face of the alternator. The rest is just pipework and fitting a new chip into the ecu.

No need to tap the sump, the charger has its own oil reservoir-it spins in a bath of oil so there are no oil feed/return line like on a vortech charger. This makes it easier to diy fit/remove. The instructions put fitting time at approx. 4 hours.

I don't think anyone sells the Z kit anymore but you could try Midland VW. NS Racing/Stealth/Midland VW will sell you a new vortech kit for £2500-3000 or you could buy a secondhand kit off vwvortex for £1000-500.

Much much does S/C'ing affect the life of the motor? If it's a high mileage lump (120k+), I presume you'd be foolish not to have some rebuild work done before attempting to S/C it?

I had a new head/gasket at 80K, put the charger on at 94K and I'm now on 121k so I'm assuming a solid engine can take the extra strain placed on the engine components. The vr6 bottom end is a strong one as it was originally designed to be a diesel but the real weakpoint is the headgasket. It would be a good idea to have a compression test performed to make sure everything is within tolerence but it's not essential. If you know the head hasn't been touched it would probably be a good idea to have the top end rebuilt (and inspection of the bottom end)before putting a charger on.

yup, he's right... the only reason they didn't make it a diesel was 'cos they were having problems getting all the plumbing into the head for a diesel... :|

I heard tell (and this may well be heresay) that it the diesel VR6 was thought of well after they had started making the petrol one, and that the reasons they couldn't do it were:

- weak bottom end (teeny main bearings, skinny crank webs)

- wedge caused by angled pistons resulted in poor swirl, which is critical on diesels. also the angled pistons would need the ring pack to be further down to avoid chewing the rings up at the highest point - thus reducing the compression ratio and making an even less effective diesel.

like I say, might be heresay (or heresy!) so please take with a pinch of salt.

Cheers,

--

Olly

The petrol VR6 crank was not designed with diesel operation in mind. It's possible that the block and/or timing CHAIN (as opposed to belt) arrangement was, but the crank and bearings were not...