Mawrick

anyone got picture of both sides of timin chain cover?

Anyone got pics of the Timing chain cover (with the rear main seal - or what one call it).

Also anyone remember if the cover is in two parts upper/lower - and can one remove only the lower one when replacing the seal? - as the chain have already been done, but sadly looks like the new seal has a small leak I want to fix :(

It's gearbox off, and the covers are in two parts with the lower attached to the upper from below by two hex bolts. If you have a look in the wiki, there's a guide for timing chain replacement and the easiest way to remove/replace the seal.

Hope this helps mate.

Do you know if these covers have like 3 "prongs" for guiding it in place - heard it can be on some VW engines, where it is advisable to replace the cover itself - but IIRC there is no "prongs" on the VR6 cover?.

Yeah there were on mine. The covers shouldn't distort, and they should be sealed with the correct Vw sealant anyway so you should get no leaks from there.

Any idea if this leakage is of any "danger" ? (As I was thinking about a trip around Germany a bit later this summer, and was thinking about taking the Corrado - but a bit uncertain now :( ), as I'm not sure if I get the time to replace this seal before the trip.

Had the lower dust cover off today just to have a look inside, and the leakage doesn't seem to be very big - but there is always some drops after a drive, so suspect the leakage being active under driving.

CamCover2_zpse5afee4c.jpg

Above is a pic of the upper timing chain cover

Camcover_zps09685624.jpg

This is the bottom cover and possibly where your problem is. The red area is where the sealant is applied so that the oil doesn't leak but within that area is also the crankshaft seal (In Blue). Unfortunately to correct leaks from either of these areas properly would involve removing the gearbox, clutch and flywheel.

With regards to "danger", if you have oil behind the inspection plate within the gearbox clutch casing, you could end up contaminating the clutch with oil which would eventually result in slippage.

I hope this helps and hopefully it wont be anything too major.

I don't think anyone has a completely leak free corrado. The late great Chris gaskell went to great lengths to make his car drip free but still ended up with the odd drop.

For the crank seal you could try a seal conditioner - I think there's one that's well recommended but the name slips my mind.

Worth checking the three sump bolts accessed with the gearbox lower bellhousing cover removed. Mine was leaking exactly the same as yours, and mine was a combination of crossthreaded bolts, and the chain cover crank seal. I had to re-tap the lower cover threads and fit oversized bolts, and replace the seal. Nice and clean driveway now though!

Does the top cover have to be taken off when doing this ? or can I get away with removing gearbox, lower cover and re-install that seal ?.

Also is it sealant around the cover or was it gaskets on these VR6's - can't remember :)

If I'm not mistaken what I would need is:

068 198 171 repair kit for sealing flange

The bolts for the flywheel, oil pan gasket, and then the sealant/gasket for the lower chain cover?.

Anything else I'v forgotten ?.

(The chain etc have been replaced before so won't be needing replacement (only around 6-7000 km since) - not sure but I sadly *think* that seal was a non VW seal.....:(

Does the coolant need to be drained (read something about a bolt beiing hidden by a part on the thermostat housing) :)

Had a look today, the covers seem dry (from what one can see), also the bolts for the oil pan seem to be thight (and looks like the oil is just "following" the gasket to the middle front) - feel quite confident it's the seal in that lower cover :(

There was no gasket to seal the cover, just the sealant. I'm not sure if you'll need to drain the coolant, but I don't think so. Your list looks pretty good, although if you didn't change the clutch release bearing first time round, its worth doing for what it costs. None of the parts on your list are very expensive, so well worth doing as much as you can afford whilst its all apart.

There was no gasket to seal the cover, just the sealant. I'm not sure if you'll need to drain the coolant, but I don't think so. Your list looks pretty good, although if you didn't change the clutch release bearing first time round, its worth doing for what it costs. None of the parts on your list are very expensive, so well worth doing as much as you can afford whilst its all apart.

All wear parts have been changed on the car so only had about 6-7000 km (max) on the clock after the rebuild - including clutch/bearings etc, so I guess I'l just go with the "needed" to get that seal replaced :)

btw - does the top cover have to come off as well - or can that stay on for this fix ?.

cheers!

Sorry I thought I said previously. Top cover can remain in place. As mentioned if you follow the wiki for timing chain replacement, everything you need to do is also contained within that, just dismiss the bits that you don't need to do. :thumbleft:

Sorry I thought I said previously. Top cover can remain in place. As mentioned if you follow the wiki for timing chain replacement, everything you need to do is also contained within that, just dismiss the bits that you don't need to do. :thumbleft:

Sounds good! - thnx :)

Yea will do - Think I'l take my chances with the leakage on the Germany trip - if I don't get time to do the job prior :)

If it starts pouring I'm hoping the Germans can fix it....lol....:)