Sign in to follow this  
bluester

drilled air box ?????

hi all been reading some topics about drilling air box on 16v anyone recomend the best place to drill ; what size holes and how many . cheers also what difference does it make to performance and noise

Great I get in first!

I drilled mine about 6 months ago, about 18 x 12mm holes between the ribbing of the box and on the mitred corner, below the filter line of course. There's tonnes of links on here about this, and a proper guide on the scottish corrado website - dunno url though. Expect lots of noise :D

HOWEVER, I personally got fed up with the noise (all noise no power) and when I got round to blocking the holes back up I noticed gain in power - up to you man, everyone will probably slate me (except Kevhaywire he's not an advocate either :wink: ) Just my 2pence. :!:

I would say do it with about ten 1/4" holes, on the side facing the wing, but don't go over-board with the holes. You can always put more in if you want to.

Yep me too, about 12 holes on the wing side using a 12mm drill bit and a couple on the front nearest the wing, removed the snorkel from the airbox (the tube that goes to the front) and now I have a a lovely induction roar, not as nice as my old VR though :(

Well I have drilled mine but have also become pissed off with the noise. Its just too loud and makes the car sound faster than it actually is. I have blocked up the holes and replaced the snorkel but I wont know the difference till I get my replacement hall sender fitted. Bloody Camerons VW said it would only take 2 days (that was 3 days ago) and now they are saying 2 weeks. Could have had it from GSF by now!!!

Take the snorkel out and see wot you think! That way you can put it back if you dont like it.I swiss cheesed mine wing side and front and it sounds PHAT!

Drilled mine, every once in a while tape the holes up to try the standard setup, but it only stays that way for a few days.

I don't particularly like the idea of sucking in warm air from the engine bay, but it really does seem to increase the perfomance.

Anyway I'm going to modify my airbox to run a cold feed from behind the grill and block the holes up, but till then its swiss cheese all the way.

Drilled mine too, like everyones said dont over do the holes otherwise it sounds like a spitfire! mines got a nice growl when driving normally, and an even nicer roar when you floor it! I didnt notice much performace change, other than it revs a bit better than before, but that could be down to swapping the filter. Go for it, nothing to loose really unless you go mad with the holes.

just buy a VR and stick a Ram Air on it. then you'l have the noise AND the power 8)

Agreed :lol:

Its what I run.... everyone tells me I wont get any power from the RAM AIR.... but my car seems to tell me otherwise. I have the stock air box on at the moment whilst the RAM AIR is drying out from cleaning and I absolutely hate driving the VR with stock air box... feels flat, unresponsive and SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWWWWWW... :-P :twisted:

Scott