Mr_Rossy

Sourced - Please Lock Sunroof motor

I'm looking for a sunroof motor to fit my 1995 VR6 Storm.

My current one goes back but stops, it just clicks. (The switch works and the roof works too as i can open and close it with the allen key)

Thanks Matt (Swindon J15 of M4)

Edited by Mr_Rossy

May just need re-alingning with your roof.

Just make sure your roof is closed then with the motor connected (but not fitted) move the switch forward till it stops.

Fit the motor back in position and bingo. Hopefully, if not the you definitely need a new one.

May just need re-alingning with your roof.

Just make sure your roof is closed then with the motor connected (but not fitted) move the switch forward till it stops.

Fit the motor back in position and bingo. Hopefully, if not the you definitely need a new one.

Interesting you say that because it feels like that is the issue, the problem being that when the motor is not fitted I press the button to open and it just goes and goes and goes but doesn't stop

Just looked again but the switch just clicked in the forward (close position) whereas the open position works.

Any ideas?

Mine does exactly the same as this, but only opens a small amount at a time and then doesn't close at all. It also decides to open when I turn the key to lock the door for some reason which gets a bit annoying so ive had to disconnect it for the time being.

There is a wire from the roof to the central locking, if you download the wiring diagram you shoud be able to find a loose conection or cut in the wire I would assume.

Have you seen the motor calibration described in the Pdf for sunroof repair in the wiki? Put a link to it in one of my posts last week after I repaired my sunroof in case that helps - it's towards the end of the write up....

As MarkB said, remove the motor from the frame (with the roof closed) but leave it connected. Operate the full closure via the key in the door lock. You should see the motor moving about. Calibration complete, refit to frame.

If the motor is struggling, it's been discussed 100 times, but you need to lube the channels with silicon grease, not normal grease, not white grease, not butter, olive oil or engine oil, but Silicon grease!

VW sell their own special stuff for like, £30 a tube or something daft, but I use this stuff which is specifically made for sliding mechanisms - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-3312-Silicon-Grease-Clear/dp/B00295DBQE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1402069674&sr=8-8&keywords=silicon+grease

Run the roof back and forth loads of times with the allen key to get the grease worked in. That will keep the roof sliding nicely in the long term, but if the motor still isn't happy, you'll need a new one.

Hi mate I have one if u need it

Do you still have that motor? I can't get the original one to play ball at all.

Matt

As MarkB said, remove the motor from the frame (with the roof closed) but leave it connected. Operate the full closure via the key in the door lock. You should see the motor moving about. Calibration complete, refit to frame.

If the motor is struggling, it's been discussed 100 times, but you need to lube the channels with silicon grease, not normal grease, not white grease, not butter, olive oil or engine oil, but Silicon grease!

VW sell their own special stuff for like, £30 a tube or something daft, but I use this stuff which is specifically made for sliding mechanisms - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liqui-Moly-3312-Silicon-Grease-Clear/dp/B00295DBQE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1402069674&sr=8-8&keywords=silicon+grease

Run the roof back and forth loads of times with the allen key to get the grease worked in. That will keep the roof sliding nicely in the long term, but if the motor still isn't happy, you'll need a new one.

Hey Kevin - I bought LM 47 lubricant - thought this was the one but on checking its different - and sunroof now seems to be sticking - is it wrong or do I need to use a lot - I only fingered it (oooo errr misses) on sparingly?!

Thanks