robster

G60 ABS Issue - Not the Usual

Hello All,

Before someone gets on to me about the numerous ABS threads that are on this site and the web about the corrado ABS system I think I have read them all at this stage so I am hoping someone could shed a light on this for me. This issue has been plaguing me since last year but since I only drive the car for 6 months of the year i am determined to get to the end of it this year.

All opinions advice welcome.

Background; 92 G60 Corrado.

ABS light comes on when ignition started and then goes out.

ABS light comes back on when starting to roll, there is a rare time it comes again without rolling.

Blinked code: 1241 - Right Front Rotor or Speed Sensor

After testing resistance of the right front sensor last year I replaced a shot right front wheel speed sensor and light did go out for about 2 months.

Light is back on all the time now when driving and giving the same blink code, 1241.

The Sensor I put in it last year was a spurious sensor and the resistance was a little lower than the others (bot still within spec) on the car when tested this year so i replaced it again with a new VW sensor £££ that was within the same resistance range as the other - still no joy.

I have inspected the the ABS ring for a bent ring, roundness, distance from Sensor (1.5mm) same as left hand side of car), teeth, damaged, cracks, etc. and it appears perfect.

I have done a continuity test in the abs wiring between the wire on the top mount and the sensor connection with no loss of connection.

Next Step:

Check wiring for continuity between connection at top mount and the connection into the abs unit.

I do have a Bentley manual and have attached the wiring diagram for the Right Front Sensor but I do have a question over the "ABS Sensor Condenser" the diagram is showing, I have highlighted the relative sensor wiring in a yellow box on the drawing.

Questions are:

1) does anyone know the colour of the wires at the ABS connection block that relate to the Right front Wheel sensor, Bentley just says black wires.

2) will this condenser obscure the results I will get

As I said before all advice will be taken on board. I know people will say replace the rotor but before I throw more money at it is there anything else I could check?

Cheers,

Rob.

If you unplug the sensor on the suspect corner do you get the same code or a different code?

When it says right front, does it mean sat in the car looking at the screen or stood in front of the car looking at the engine bay?

Thanks for the reply Dox,

If i unplug the sensor the light stays on when I turn the key and start the engine, it doesnt go out at any stage, I didnt unplug however and blink for a code but will do this evening.

Front Right I would think is Driver side (UK & Ireland), right side if you were sitting in the car looking out. From what i recall from changing the sensor last year it blinked front right and and it was indeed the drivers side sensor that was broken.

Rob.

Rob.

Hi Dox,

I get the same code if i unplug the sensor at the suspect corner and of course the light stays on rather than coming on and then going off.

But I have also blinked a code 4133 from the ABS light on the dash but can not find any reference on the web or Bentley manual for this.

I Ordered an abs ring in light of the test you suggested at £12 its worth a try.

Any Idea on the 4133 code, it may also be worth mentioning I have to connect the brown(earth) to the blue/white wire under the gear gaiter to flash the codes rather than the yellow as seems to be the case in most posts for blinking codes, I get no codes when i connect to the yellow wire. (Pic attached)

anyone....

I have tried to a attached a video of the 4133 blink but its too large it just in case i am reading it wrong - Link below

http://s1049.photobucket.com/user/robster1977/media/4133FlashCode.mp4.html

Rob.

Update...

Replaced right side abs ring as well as a wheel bearing, ball joint, dust shield and track rod end (while i was at it).

Took car for test drive, light came on again, gave it one more try before returing to shed, light stayed off for test drive ...

However ... on test run I actually had to use the brakes hard and the ABS kicked in and worked but in doing this it seems to have SH*T itself

ABS now light now comes on and goes off when ignition key turned but sometimes it comes on again after a few seconds without the car moving, you can hear the abs pump kicking in/testing when the light comes on. Otherwise it will come on when i get it the magic 10mph or there abouts.

New codes are blinking:

1233 FL SPEED SENSOR

1241 FR SPEED SESNOR

1311 RL

1243 RR

2234 Supply voltage too high or low Battery voltage above/below 16/10v, Faulty wiring, wiring connections, fuse S54 or ABS relay

Does all four sensors indicate an issue with the ABS ECU?

I have checked all grounds, wiring, connections on ABS Unit and on ABS ECU. I have not as yet replaced or tested the Relay.

Is there any way of testing the relay out of the car?

I am pulling my hair out at this satge and there could be a g60 for sale very shortly ...............

Should both 79 & 179 ABS relays click when ignition turned on?

I'd also like to know the above. gapenyqa.jpgMy MOT's due and so I've been trying to fix my ABS, I've been working through the usual causes and noticed only the centre 79 relay here clicks when the ignition is turned on, if anyone can shed some light on these (what each relay does) or point me in the direction of some wiring diagrams I'd appreciate it. The Bentley manual seems to use a different system.

Ran a VAG Com on it and it showed up the voltage error but no sensor error ???

2234 Supply voltage too high or low Battery voltage above/below 16/10v, Faulty wiring, wiring connections, fuse S54 or ABS relay

Tried a friends ABS ECU in it and lights stayed off but it was only a quick test (short spin - 100 yards). i hopefully will be picking up an ABS ECU today, will keep you posted.

KipVR: From what I can see its only the 79 relay that is supposed to click when ignition turned on.

Rob.

I'd also like to know the above. gapenyqa.jpgMy MOT's due and so I've been trying to fix my ABS, I've been working through the usual causes and noticed only the centre 79 relay here clicks when the ignition is turned on, if anyone can shed some light on these (what each relay does) or point me in the direction of some wiring diagrams I'd appreciate it. The Bentley manual seems to use a different system.

Is that the correct orientation of the relays? I thought mine (from memory) was 79 on the left, 179 middle and 179 right? When mines working (mostly when the engine bay is warm! restarting after 5 miles or so) they do click, they fail to click when the light stays on the dash.

Doesn't matter about orientation, the relays have different pin locations so will only fit in the specific connectors anyway mate.

Doesn't matter about orientation, the relays have different pin locations so will only fit in the specific connectors anyway mate.

Ta :)