ChrisL

ChrisL's Classic Green Storm

They're interference fit I believe Chris. When I replaced my cable last year, the guide tube just pulled out with the cable. A rubber mallet was needed to get it back in afterward.

Apologies, always thought it was painted. Powder coat doesn't looked right though, always looks too thick.

Excellent work Chris, looking amazing.

To get the guides out you will been to take the rear part of the tunnel out, undo the nuts holding the handbrake cables on, and then just get under the car and pull the guides through the rubber grommets, a bit of lube makes them come out and slide back in easily. Ooh err

To get the guides out you will been to take the rear part of the tunnel out, undo the nuts holding the handbrake cables on, and then just get under the car and pull the guides through the rubber grommets, a bit of lube makes them come out and slide back in easily. Ooh err

Might have a go at getting them out since I'm doing all this work.

Also, found a company that does the e-coating to the original specification!!

Well my intention was to have the beam e-coated but in the end I couldnt get the new bushes out without damaging them and at the price for new ones it wasn't viable. So the plan is to use it this year then maybe get it done next year.

So moving on, the guide tubes for the handbrake cables had started to corrode so I took them out, cleaned them up and re-plate them. I've also bought new genuine cables just because the ends will be cleaner.

IMG_1416_zps783cffb0.jpg

I've also had the rear calipers stripped, cleaned and replated, I'm really pleased with the finish:

IMG_1424_zps9235901c.jpg

So now this is where i'm at, beam, hubs, backplates all back on. Should get the new discs on at weekend and hopefully get it back on wheels!

IMG_1453_zpsb29de98d.jpg

IMG_1457_zpscfdbd3d8.jpg

I painted them, they are actually koni adjustable dampers on standard springs (the only part not standard on the car).

Are yours red or black on the new VR?

I painted them, they are actually koni adjustable dampers on standard springs (the only part not standard on the car).

Red is the orig colour. What's with the 38 and 72

The 38 and 72 must be factory markings as they where on the beam and backplates before I stripped them. I took measurements and positions before hand so I could get them the same.

Yep, red on mine but could do with re paint, just wondered what paint you used?

Not seen this thread before. That's one stunning Corrado Chris, very nice indeed! :cool::thumbleft:

Thanks, it was looked after extremely well be the previous owner.

Yep, red on mine but could do with re paint, just wondered what paint you used?

I used some red enamel from halfords.

Wow! What a truly nice car. I know you've put a lot of time into the car, but I bet if you hang on to it for a few years, it'll be worth a fortune in this condition.

These arrived from Germany today:

IMG_1485_zpsee8d2794.jpg

Not exactly RS301's but BBS's all the same! Nothing really wrong with the ones on the car other then a couple of stone chips but shame not to get new ones after doing all the brakes.

Also cheaper than RSs too! Are you getting to the point where your expecting to spend on the car as you're so used to it, even if it doesn't really need it Chris!? :lol:

The rear end is all complete now (for this year!) so back on its wheels

IMG_1474_zpsb91ni0kr.jpg

But, looking through the gaps in the front wheels, the brakes didn't compare with the back so up it came again. The front discs where to be replaced with new genuine articles but VW have decided to obsolete them!!!

I wanted to keep original items on the car as they have the part numbers and VW logo on the centre hub part so off to the shot blasters, then the machine shop for skimming then found some paint that matched the new rear discs

IMG_0089_zpsoefddcab.jpg

The calipers have been stripped and sent away for plating and have come out great

IMG_1508_zpsqxprxb9k.jpg

IMG_1509_zpsx7y26duv.jpg

The front suspension struts where looking a little marked too so off they came and where masked ready for shot blasting

IMG_1510_zpsh2nw27pf.jpg

And then a quick lick of black satin

IMG_1511_zpsxqtajhns.jpg

And that brings me up to date. A bit of cleaning under the front arches, refit the brakes then bleed the system ready for April.