Jim

Wanted - VR6 MAF Sensor & Coilpack

That's very kind but I think for the price and given it seems that my MAF does seem to be misbehaving based on discussion in here already, it might be worth me picking one up - would be a useful spare anyway given how they do always fail eventually! Cheers tho :) If they were getting into the £200+ price range I'd be taking you up on that offer but

No probs. :cool:

I think on Charged cars they're more prone to go. Never had to replace one in 60k miles of driving my previous VR.

Usual crap with ECP - ring up the branch as showing none in stock online.

"We can get one for you tomorrow no problem. That'll be £140 please."

"But it's £84 + surcharge on the website?"

"Yeah, it probably will be!"

"Forget it - I'll order it and get it delivered. Thanks."

Why do companies do that sort of crap!

MAF issues usually manifest themselves as flat spots, cutting out pulling up to junctions and surging when cruising at 2000ish rpm.

Kev, would you see all these faults if the MAF is defective, just that after reading this thread I'm beginning to think mine may be broken, I get poor running when cold, little bit 'jumpy' and sometimes surging when cruising, it seems ok once warmed up.

TBH I thought it was just the fact that mine has been remapped for the cams but after seeing this maybe my MAF is at fault.

Is there any tests I can do on it? (Vagcom is clear)

Rog.

Best I know is what Kev suggested earlier. Disconnect the MAF and take it for a cold to hot run. See how it performs then.

These things are tricky to track down. I think the ISV comes into play if the car is cold on startup - running "cold map". Kev?

Always check all the pipe work on the air intake to throttle side and the exhaust gas and tank breather. Little splits can appear, particularly near the hose clips, as the rubber ages. This was the source of my issues in the end. But I overlooked these and ended up spending £££ on MAFs and ISVs needlessly. €40 hose fixed it in the end! But at least I have some spares now. ;)

If it helps I was looking for maf the other day and managed to get a 2nd hand one off a mk3 golf for £30. Put it on and it's Woking fine with no errors.

Failing that euro do have brand new bosch ones in stock for around £215 for the c vr6. You have to search for engine management sensors.

Top tip Steve - thank you! Will order from there, rather than ECP then as it'll come out much cheaper.

Though I'm now a little more less convinced it's the MAF. I took the car out this evening and prior to starting it up, pulled the MAF and it started at quite high revs (around 1200) and I could hear that same occasional pop / misfire once every couple of seconds. I reconnected the MAF and the revs came down a little but otherwise seemed the same.

I decided enough of nannying the car tonight and did take it for a bit of a thrash without really wringing it's neck and it drove great - the engine pulls extremely well at all revs.. low down and higher up, though I never really took it past 5000RPM. Sounded lovely on song too - had forgotten just how good the VR6 sounds.

There's definitely something not 100% and sure it's electrical rather than anything more sinister. It's just this noticeable, very slight misfire at idle, and also I find at lower revs and part throttle when driving at say 30MPH it feels a bit like.. not comfortable.. very slightly hesitant and a touch jumpy.. like it wants you to either be on the throttle or off the throttle and part throttle seems difficult for the car somehow?

And lastly.. idle.. seems to take a LONG time to settle down to the lower VR6 idle speed of 650RPM.. it won't do it until the car is fully warmed up, and instead runs on a faster idle. And then when it has settled down to the correct idle, despite the revs being locked solid where they should be there's quite a lot of vibration into the cabin - like it 'feels' like the engine is misfiring a bit and you can feel it kicking through into the cabin.

Will be interesting to stick the loan coil pack on and see if that improves how it feels. It does have this vague whiff of coil pack about it.

Sorry for rambling on - just now having done the engine work, I'm on a bit of a crusade (or should that be folly!!) to sort out all the gremlins on the old girl and get her ship shape :)

• Like 1

Exhaust seems OK mate - after years of leaky exhausts on my 16v, my ears are pretty tuned into exhaust leaks but can't hear anything amiss on my VR!