Sign in to follow this  
crazymarcel

Vag Com Question/s

Am thinking of investing in vag com. Have a few questions for those who have it.

Have had a look round the ross tech website.

Am i right in thinking i need the rather expensive $599 kit? I need the 2x2 connector which that comes with and want the full software.

Do people use the serial or usb connectors, guess the serial one is just for older machines?

Also once installed to one computer is that my lot? can i never change that computer and not install the software onto another machine.

Thanks

$599? Wow that's a bit OTT :-)

I bought a cheap serial lead from German ebay and just registered the software alone with Ross tech - worked out a bit cheaper.

Is the $599 kit the only one that comes with a 2x2 connector? Just get the $200 16pin obd stylee connector jobbie and make an adapter to connect to your 2x2's...

You can de-activate the s/w which generates a key that you give to ross-tech and then re-install it on another machine and they'll give you your next activation key free... (hope that made sense :?

The lead you need is $229 (£125) and then you just download the app.

I went for the serial lead in case I ever use it on a PC/Laptop that doesn't have USB.

I've reinstalled VAG-COM about 4 times now and Linda at Ross tech has always given me a new code, so don't worry about that.

K

Stormseeker , Is it hard to make a 2x2 connector, dont happen to have an easy follow idiots guide too it do u?

Not difficult at all - the hard bit is getting hold of 16pin OBD connector - my conversion (ahem *cough* bodge ;-) ) is a bit more free-form :-)

I've got vag-com with the 16 pin serial port cable. Is it possible to convert this to USB without having to buy new software or a new USB cable?

I bought a serial-usb converter cable so I could plug into a USB port but the software can only access com 1(serial port) and not the USB port. Can the software be converted so it can run the USB from one of the com ports or would I need new software which allows the USB port to be used?

cheers

Stormseeker , Is it hard to make a 2x2 connector, dont happen to have an easy follow idiots guide too it do u?

Or... There about £40 from http://www.vagcom.co.uk

This site no worky, got another? Anyone near me with VAGCOM, I need to reprogramme my auto ECU to Manual.

I've got vag-com with the 16 pin serial port cable. Is it possible to convert this to USB without having to buy new software or a new USB cable?

I bought a serial-usb converter cable so I could plug into a USB port but the software can only access com 1(serial port) and not the USB port. Can the software be converted so it can run the USB from one of the com ports or would I need new software which allows the USB port to be used?

cheers

Download the USB version from Ross tech and try that with your convertor, should work.

K