G_Power

New Ex Pat member

Hi guys, I'm from Ireland but now living in Cape Town, South Africa. Corrados are VERY rare cars over here (I have seen 2 in 11 years and now own one of them!) so getting a one owner G60 was pretty sweet. Actually the PO broke down in front of me and I stopped to help, we got chatting and next thing you know I'd bought the car!

It needs ALOT of love but I've got all the mechanical bits sorted, now it's just the interior and paint to sort out.

Cheers Joe

• Like 1

Welcome mate.

I love Cape Town lovely place, specially around fish hoek.

Hi Guys, thanks for the responses. Shes not much to look at right now (I'm sure you can imagine what a coat of 23 year old classic green looks like) but I'll take some pics and post them up.

@Swompy I actually live in Fish Hoek, were you here for a holiday? You're right it's a pretty nice place to live, actually it reminds me a lot of home it just errr rains ALOT less :)

To give you an idea how rare these things are over here, the guy that did the roadworthy (MOT) has been doing it for 40 years and this was the first one he's ever seen :shocked!:

Haha amazing. Ya was about 10 years ago tho but my auntie and uncle have a house there. But They mainly live in Durban.

I spent Christmas and new year in Fish Hoek but was in SA for a month. Loved ever second of it

Belive it or not my auntie used to own a corrado when they were still being made, unfortunately it ended up on its roof!!!!

I see that "Ya" has stuck with you all these years...:)

Glad you had a good time when you were here, let me know if you're ever coming over this way again.

I see that "Ya" has stuck with you all these years...:)

Glad you had a good time when you were here, let me know if you're ever coming over this way again.

ya ;) haha

cant wait to go back

Isn't it Ja?!

I was born in Durban and lived out there until I was 12. Kinda miss it but life was not as secure as being in the UK.

@Swompy I actually live in Fish Hoek, were you here for a holiday? You're right it's a pretty nice place to live, actually it reminds me a lot of home it just errr rains ALOT less :)

To give you an idea how rare these things are over here, the guy that did the roadworthy (MOT) has been doing it for 40 years and this was the first one he's ever seen :shocked!:

I grew up in Cape Town, (Sea Point then Rondebosch). Can't remember ever seeing a corrado while there but then i was young. Plenty of citi golfs though.

I go back once a year to visit the folks so will try and remember to keep an eye out for you.

@Sean Maybe that's a Durban thing? As far as I'm concerned they both count :smug:

@Krishen Ya (that's Ja to Sean) there are feck'n millions of the little buggers, it does make me laugh when you see one with rims and a zorst that are worth more than the rest of the car. A yearly MOT would see half of them off the road (shame they don't have that here).

The VW scene here is massive so most of the mechanical parts are easy to come by or have rebuilt (like my steering rack) and pretty cheap too :)

So I thought this was as good a place as any to start listing the work/mods that i do to my C.

This is what I've been busy with so far... I don't have too many pics but I'll post some up when I get a chance.

Mechanical

A full service.

Full charger rebuild. Bearings, seals and apex strips from MaxRPM.de

Home port job on charger outlet, no idea what 'stage' but about 30% larger than standard.

Plastic boost pipe destroyed by battery acid, replaced with stainless steel pipe

I/C cleaned and pressure tested

New S/C oil feed pipe.

New front discs (nightmare to find)

New front brake hoses

Rear disc skim and full caliper rebuild

Subframe removed for painting

steering rack rebuilt (monumental PITA to refit)

New control arm bushes (Poly)

New Engine mounts (gearbox mount is a pig)

New tie rod ends

New ball joints

Complete cooling system flush (now running G12)

New thermostat and low temp fan switch

New blue and black temp sensors

Power steering flush

Lots of vacuum hose replaced (still got lots left to do)

Cosmetics

Spoiler motor rebuild

spoiler slider tubes rebuilt (internal pins were sheared)

passenger window motor rebuilt, plastic top cable housing stay replaced with a trusty hose clamp