awigman

Upgrading 16v Brakes

I need new disc's and pads all round for my 16v. Iv been quoted £200 all in to fit standards. What are my options for upgrading? I can't really afford to pay a lot more then that but if it's really worth it I will.

Thanks

Not worth it mate. You won't feel any difference at all anyway in 90% of driving conditions.

Depends how you drive your car , what you looking to upgrade to as most of the bigger 288 and 312 brakes are 5x100 your car is 4x100 so your limited without changing the stud pattern to 5x100

If you do though i would have thought that 288 would do you fine

Thanks. Is it worth buying aftermarket discs and pads or again would I not notice the difference. I don't drive it hard

Just standard disks and pads of your ony going easy , i think there is a guide somewhere for changing 4x100 to 5x00

You could use upgraded pads first but the cost of them would probably get you a bigger set of stoppers anyway

Bigger disks and pistons in the caliper = more surface = better stopping

Find some G60 calliper carriers discs and pads and you go to 280mm which makes a big difference on 16v's

Find some G60 calliper carriers discs and pads and you go to 280mm which makes a big difference on 16v's

Vr callipers are the same,

Vr callipers are the same,

Yes but they are 5 stud. He might be wanting to stay 4 stud.

Think he's saying the VR callipers will mount up to G60 carriers and discs OK :)

Think he's saying the VR callipers will mount up to G60 carriers and discs OK :)

Ah right Jim sorry Dragon I never read Tut's post correctly. I do have some Vr caliper's carrier's dic's and pad's though of course the Disc's won't be anny use to you however the other part's are :)

I need new disc's and pads all round for my 16v. Iv been quoted £200 all in to fit standards. What are my options for upgrading? I can't really afford to pay a lot more then that but if it's really worth it I will.

Thanks

I'll reply to your original post mate as it seem's to have got a bit mixed up. For a 16v like you like Sean said you may not feel/need anything bigger however £200 seem's pretty strong as shopping around on here you could get some as new bit's and most probably better bit's than what is going to be fitted for the £200 quoted.I don't profess to knowing everything about Corrados not yet anyway but if someone else could confirm (Sean182 :ubergeek:) without getting into the expense of going from 4x100 to 5x100 can VR6 Carrier's/caliper's be fitted to the 16v setup? if so would this not be the best way forward as well as buying 280mm 4x100 dic's (G60's)??

Bugger off James, I'm not the bloody oracle! But yes, the 280 mm calipers on the vr6 are exactly the same as the G60 ones and are a direct swap. G60 disks will be required obviously to retain the 4x100 stud pattern. A good used set of vr calipers with a reputable new set of dials and pads will set you back about £140-£150, so with fitting at most independent garages at £40 per hour, £200 seems about right. That figure should be a lot less for a simple disk and pad change though. An hour labour tops and less than £100 for good quality parts.

Bugger off James, I'm not the bloody oracle! But yes, the 280 mm calipers on the vr6 are exactly the same as the G60 ones and are a direct swap. G60 disks will be required obviously to retain the 4x100 stud pattern. A good used set of vr calipers with a reputable new set of dials and pads will set you back about £140-£150, so with fitting at most independent garages at £40 per hour, £200 seems about right. That figure should be a lot less for a simple disk and pad change though. An hour labour tops and less than £100 for good quality parts.

OHHHHH still replied but :rolleyes: what I was trying to say was I have Vr6 caliper's/carrier's/pad's for sale for a good price for the young man (not you obviously)what i was trying to determine was if they bolt onto the 16v hub's your input is much appreciated Sean :camp:

I have a brand new set of unused G60 discs,surplus to requirements,yours for postage

There you go Awigman Dragon has the Disc's I can let you have the Caliper's/carrier's/pad's for £70 posted pad's are almost new and caliper's/carrier's are in very good condition if you need pic's let me know,

Buy some standard pagid pads and disks from car parts 4 less for 52 quid delivered and get an independent garage to fit them, total cost iro £100

and if you can't find a garage to do them for 50 quid drive here and I'll do the bloody things for you for that much!

16v stops fine on 256mm disks unless you do a lot of 100mph plus braking and g60 pads have the same surface area, no point IMO they are just heavier and more expensive to replace

Buy some standard pagid pads and disks from car parts 4 less for 52 quid delivered and get an independent garage to fit them, total cost iro £100

and if you can't find a garage to do them for 50 quid drive here and I'll do the bloody things for you for that much!

16v stops fine on 256mm disks unless you do a lot of 100mph plus braking and g60 pads have the same surface area, no point IMO they are just heavier and more expensive to replace

Respect david :notworthy: but at the same time would you be offering if it was someone living in say Dundee?? It was just an option I was offering the guy don't make it out you are being a hero when you are from what i can gather not that far away from him. A bit to much trying to make someone look a bit like a numpty on here when I clearly said I didn't profess to know it all. You like myself DAVID may be better having a good read of a thread before posting I am and have done so even tonite admit I was wrong. Moderator yes Mocking other's NO!!

If you go 280mm you'll need 15 inch wheels or bigger to clear the larger set up.

No mocking intended to anyone, just giving my honest reply from experience of a 16v, he is near and I would honesty do the job, didn't mean to step on toes about selling anything and g60 stuff will be fine if he wants to do that ☺

http://the-corrado.net/classifieds.php?p[mshow]=listing&p[id]=pagid-fast-road-pads-for-280mm-brakes-g60-vr6-58070

I had these on my MK2 many years ago with bradi standard 280mm disks , they beat greenstuff pads hands down.

http://the-corrado.net/classifieds.php?p[mshow]=listing&p[id]=pagid-fast-road-pads-for-280mm-brakes-g60-vr6-58070

Panjo is being an arse, search for sale section for pagid fast road pads G60 / VR6 (blue box pictured)

Edited by Dox

The same to you too David it just came across that way sorry and I know you have had extensive experience with 16v's :thumbleft: