robrado974

Wheeler dealer prices [Audi Quattro]

They are a totally different drive Rob if you like the almost go-cart handling of the Corrado you may not like the big quattro like I said it is totally different.

Have to agree with this. My advice, take an S2 for a spin first because they feel incredibly old and dated, and the UR is even older. If you don't like that, you definitely won't like a UR. That much is certain. Or you will like it for a month because it's an obsession, and then reality will kick in.

I can see the appeal, especially if it's the more sought after 20V (you don't want a 10V anyway, engine parts are scarce) but it's one of them meeting your heroes things.

I sold the Corrado mainly because it was feeling too old. There's no way I could go back to something that ancient again, lol

Edited by Kevin Bacon

I re-watched the Chris Harris video where he drove an RS200 and the original Audi Sport SWB Quattro - both the road going homoligation versions of the group B rally cars. He said that the value of a genuine SWB Quattro Sport is now into 6 figures?! Mental.

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20931/lot/269/

(For example).

A special car no doubt about it but that is crazy money.

The white one looks very nice!

Ian.

I'm not seeing the attraction to these at all. They look ancient!

Never driven one but looks-wise there's no contest with a corrado IMO.

Have to agree with this. My advice, take an S2 for a spin first because they feel incredibly old and dated, and the UR is even older. If you don't like that, you definitely won't like a UR. That much is certain. Or you will like it for a month because it's an obsession, and then reality will kick in.

I can see the appeal, especially if it's the more sought after 20V (you don't want a 10V anyway, engine parts are scarce) but it's one of them meeting your heroes things.

I sold the Corrado mainly because it was feeling too old. There's no way I could go back to something that ancient again, lol

I'm not sure that the S2 is a good comparison to draw. It's a very different car to both the UR and Corrado (and yes i've owned all three).

In standard tune the S2 feels ponderous in comparison to the UR (probably something to do with the extra weight).

The 20v UR is lovely car to own and drive and there is not that much on the road with that much presence.

Parts is a nightmare and the rot too. Like Kev says i'd pass on a WR but would give a MB consideration if the condition was right.

My advice if you want to stratch that itch is to dig deep and buy a good car. Restoration projects will cost more in the long run.

Thankyou for all your comments . I've been looking on the net , doing some research . And you chaps are right . Unless I can sell the VR and save for what will be an age , i won't end up with a top end car , I will end up with a money pit . I would only be able to buy one that needed a lot of work doing to it and as some bloke in the film Christine said , "you can't polish a turd ". I will always love this iconic car for what it is . I have never driven one either so as you say I could be disappointed with it compared to a Corrado . Thanks again .

Rob

I'd scratch your itch by hiring one for the weekend. http://www.vintage-classics.co.uk/ This company now has one on their books. I hired their Stag for 24 hours to tick that off the bucket list. We had perfect weather (it was the weekend before Glastonbury) so it was top down motoring all weekend. It was a right bugger to start the next day and made my mind up that my lack of spanner knowledge will preclude me from ever owning one. The guy also has an E-type Jag but he warned me that driving that was something else as the technology dates back to the 50's - he thought a Stag was modern by comparison.

Thats a great idea , i would love to drive one just to see what they are like . I suppose its a bit like Hamond driving a Dodge Charger ,as he always wanted one [one of my favourites too].