Sign in to follow this  
Boola

Has anyone else managed to get their brakes on fire?

I have set my brakes on fire a couple of times. Kind of F1 style, after doing heavy braking and then having to sit at lights. The first was a bit of a break test, I broke down from 70mph in little more than 100m and as I sat at the lights a few whisps of smoke came out from the arches accompanied by a strange and fairly unpleasant smell. The second was after doing a lot of downhill braking with the car fully loaded with stuff and then having to sit at some lights at the bottom of the hill.

Just wondering if anyone else has managed this? I think that I will be getting some better brakes soon : )

ps VR6

There's no smoke without fire : )

yes I know the difference between oxidation and combustion

Yeah I've got that before.... plumes of smoke pouring from my back wheels :lol: But that was deliberate cause I yanked the handbrake up and left it on for about a mile to 'grind' off some surface rust, LOL! And no I didn't overheat the wheel bearings......

i've had one disc glowing red when my rear caliper seized :D it was a cold day and quite nice to warm your hands next to

I used to get a lot of smoke off my front brakes. Havent seen any since I fitted the 288's though. 8)

only thing on my brakes that smokes is my tyres when the ABS decides it doesn't want to play and one wheel locks up... :roll: :?

I had the FRONT disks on my old MKII Gti glowing though, and the pads were proper smoking too... not good... :? that's what happens when you have to try to do several heavy stops coming back towards Leek from Buxton followed by an all out 120mph emergency stop... :roll: :|

On a previous car I found the brakes seemed a bit wooden after some "spirited" driving on some twisty local roads.

Then I noticed that the disks were an interesting blue colour. The surface of the pads looked like glass when I replaced them so I dread to think how hot the brakes actually got....

Enough to make the tyre catch fire,new brakes and they needed roasting down a hill

shame it was a tanker...nearly shit a brick

chubbz

did some hard driving between some roundabouts and got brakes smoking like anything, when finally come to a stop to investigate (brakes where so hot they didn't work at all) smoke was pooring off, got EBC pads all round and was expecting them to be better than that! not driven that hard since. good fun tho'! :mrgreen: