Bast

Rear callipers

Hey all. Replaced my old seized callipers on my VR with some Girling 2729/6 which I believe are from a mk2 Jetta. After I've been driving for a few miles they brakes will squeal when either going slow or reversing. Is it a case of the callipers are wrong for the car? Or are they suitable and it's just a case of them needing stripping down and cleaning.

Any help much appreciated

Thanks

New, recon or used callipers?

Do the hand brake levers return to there stops when the hand brake is released?

Are the cables themselves free moving (not partially seized)?

Did you clean up the carriers and apply a little copper slip?

They were used, weren't in particularly shabby condition and thus I didn't clean them up (stupid I know). My friend who fitted them did apply some copper grease to the back of the pads. The cables are free moving yeah and from what I can tell return to their stops.

Pulling the handbrake onto the first notch usually quietens them down temporarily, as does lightly touching the brake pedal.

Are the rear callipers fairly interchangeable between models? Or will later corrados need later golf/corrado calipers..

The normal up grade is mk4 golf but you will need different flexi's

Refurb unit can be had from vwspares needs to be 38mm piston not the larger one for an estate.

Edited by delfinis38

The normal up grade is mk4 golf but you will need different flexi's

Refurb unit can be had from vwspares needs to be 38mm piston not the larger one for an estate.

Cheers, already know about the mk4 upgrade as well as the late mk3 golf callipers with the internal handbrake spring. But would just be good to ascertain as to whether the girlings are suitable or not before I buy any others. Also they have a 38mm piston, well I assume thats what the big 38 refers to on the top of them :D

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79317[/ATTACH]

Check to see if the callipers move freely on their two mounts with the pads removed - there are two bushings in there, and they should slide easily. Rear brake pad sets often come with a tube of grease for this very purpose. It's a known issue with VW callipers.

if it helps i have a spare set of rear calipers you can have for £10+ post. At least that way you can take your time and don't need to have the car off the road for too long.

They'll need to be cleaned up a bit as they've been sitting in the garage. Prior to storage they both moved freely.

Check to see if the callipers move freely on their two mounts with the pads removed - there are two bushings in there, and they should slide easily. Rear brake pad sets often come with a tube of grease for this very purpose. It's a known issue with VW callipers.

Righto, will have a go at this at the weekend, cheers :thumbleft:

if it helps i have a spare set of rear calipers you can have for £10+ post. At least that way you can take your time and don't need to have the car off the road for too long.

They'll need to be cleaned up a bit as they've been sitting in the garage. Prior to storage they both moved freely.

Thats good of you cheers. Just been looking at some late mk3 ones, but will take you up on the offer if nothing comes of them :)

You will notice that the 2 guide pins in a rear caliper are not identical; one is stepped and the other one isn't. I Think that this is something to do with providing for the caliper to retract when you take your foot off of the pedal. Maybe the pins have to be in the correct (either top or bottom) guide hole, and if they are not correctly positioned it could (COULD) be the cause of your problem. Try swapping them around to see if it makes a difference.

Best wishes

RB

Thanks for that Roger, quite an interesting thought, will have a look at that as well when I get the callipers off at the weekend.

So is the general consensus that these callipers should be alright for the car and likely just needing cleaned up?

Thanks all :)

Edited by Bast

You will notice that the 2 guide pins in a rear caliper are not identical; one is stepped and the other one isn't. I Think that this is something to do with providing for the caliper to retract when you take your foot off of the pedal. Maybe the pins have to be in the correct (either top or bottom) guide hole, and if they are not correctly positioned it could (COULD) be the cause of your problem. Try swapping them around to see if it makes a difference.

Best wishes

RB

Sorry for the hijack but do you know if this is true of the front calipers?

No, the front calipers have pins which are identical to each other.

RB

Thanks Roger

I was hoping that they were different and I'd mixed them up when trying to sort the front drivers side dragging-oh well another look needed