bendunstan

G60 engine trouble

So it's time to address the elephant in the corner of the room. My poor G60 is making some very horrible noises and I'm yet to discover what's causing it.

Unfortunately with getting a new job and getting a new house i just havnt had the time to look at (actually sorn the car for the time being) or had the funds to have somebody else profesionally look at it. I know it difficult to say what the problem is just from a noise but all ideas are welcome.

I don't have the space or time or budget to keep trying various things so as much help as I can get is greatly appreciated. The car starts on the button every time, no miss or backfiring and revs cleanly. When it happened there was no noticeable power loss or anything out the ordinary literally just a horrible noise. Obviously I don't use the car and its only been run for a couple of seconds every now and then in vain hope that I would have a brainwave and solve the problem. I have had the rocker cover off, everything looks perfect, the tappets seem fine so don't think its that. I have a compression tester on its way in the post and will be doing that when I can. The oil was mint and nothing out the ordinary on the sump plug when I changed it and the filter to see if something really bad had happened. Im pretty sure the charger is fine thankfully, a bullet dodged me thinks. Was only rebuilt 2000 miles ago too.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Video attached below I hope!

That sounds like a worn camshaft . The phone is to close to the engine , so its distorting the noise . I could be wrong , normaly you can here a camshaft noise ,thats starts with a tappety sound then gets worse over a period of time . Good luck with sorting this .

Hmm, I did wonder about this. Would I not be getting misfire or lumpy idle with this though? The noise just seemed to start happening too rather than slowly work up to it. The cam seemed in great condition when I had rocker cover off and looked at it, is there anyway to tell if its worn other than a bad noise lol ☺

You getting any excessive blow back with the oil cap removed when revving? You sure irs running on all cylinders? Hard to tell from vid.

Possible blown gasket around the manifold?

Not the first to mention cracked exhaust manifold or blown gasket. Guess this should be my starting point. Thanks

Changed Inlet and all exhaust manifold gaskets and no blows or cracks. I do have some cracks in two of my injectors though! If anybody has some I can borrow to test the car with until I can source a decent set I would be most appreciative. Glad I'm getting somewhere with it all though!