robrado974

Powder coating costs /Mabey hammerite instead ?

As some of you know I am planning on refurbishing the under side of my car . My first problem is , I will have to use my friendly mechanics ramp , as this is going to be a ball ache to do in the drive . I was going to ask him how much he wanted for a weekends work . I can't see the underneath parts inc bushes , drop links , track rod ends ect being done in a day . Anyway the question I wanted to know was , what's the costing involved in powder coating ? Ballpark or rough figure? . If it's going to cost too much , then I may have to think about , using a dremmel and hammeriting the parts instead .obviously I want to do the best I can with the car , but I have to consider the costs as well . I will be doing the job too as I don't want to give the car to someone with all the parts and say "there you go , get on with it " . It's nice to look at a finished product and think , I did that . Many thanks

Rob

Powder coating will be much cheaper than you think Rob. I thought it would be similar to painting something of that size, but it's far less. You can have standard coat or nylon. Nylon is much more hard wearing but is a little more expensive but still pretty cheap to be honest. It worth going somewhere local with a pic for size reference, and getting a quote. I reckon you can get both from and rear drive train done in nylon for around £200.

Up our way a motorcycle frame is around 60 to 80.

A mk2 that I done was 260 and a 1 day turn around which was everything underneath that could possibly be done as well as a few bits from the bay.

It's not that expensive to be honest as the actual hands on time and materials is not that much. Most of the time is spent with items in a chemical tank or oven. Actual blasting and spaying time is only 20 mins for an alloy wheel for example.

Forgot to add though. Rustoleum with a mix around 70/30 with good mineral spirits produces a great finish as we'll.

YouTube 50 dollar paint job. I have done this on a few defenders and off-road vehicles and looks good and lasts surprisingly well.

Hammerite chips east under the car mate and once water gets in to the chips it will rot it under the hammerite ,ask on any 4x4 forums ! Thats where iv been reading about how to go about doing the underside

Depends on your own preferences. If you like to graft and make things look nice then good results can be achieved given the hours are put in. Powdercoating is quick and easy but it'll always be someone elses work. I'll be doing the underside of mine soon by hand and it'll look better than powdercoat and similarly stand up to the elements but will take me a fair amount of time.