Roger Chatfield

Chain tension runner, change or not.

Evening all,

I've managed to get a new engine for 'Stormy' the engine was rebuilt 20k ago but that was 8 years ago.

So, I'm currently just giving it a quick clean up before fitting.

I've noticed that the upper chain tension runner is the original 'old' style one, the metal type with a riveted on runner. It looks like new with no signs of wear, however I know that when replaced most folk fit the newer 'all plastic' style runner.

It's there a problem with the old style of runner? Is it worth me replacing mine while the engine is out although this would mean removing the bottom cover plate and disturbing the the crank seal.

I'm thinking leave it as it is however id value the advice of the collective.

Rog.

If the tensioner has been replaced with the rebuild to which you refer, and you know this to be fact, and you have inspected the part and know it to be A1, then in theory it should be good to go. However, with the engine out it will never be any easier to carry out works. It's your car, you will be doing the work and you are paying the bills. If you would rest easier having changed this component then this is reason in itself to do so.

As above Rog. Mine has the old type too but mine was replaced much more recently. I'd not have a problem running the old style guide and tensioner bolt, but I'd definitely replace the case crank seal. Mine wasn't replaced when the previous owner had the chains and tensioner was done so leaked - what happens when you pay a garage to do the work and don't specify I suppose, which may have been the case with yours unless you have a receipt stating it had been done. For what they cost, I wouldn't leave it if I had any doubts. I'd also replace the clutch release bearing and inspect the clutch as a matter of course too mate.

Totally agree. Before fitting the engine take the opportunity to get everything in good order.

Hi, if the crank case seal is leaking, is that gearbox oil you'd lose? Ever since I had my timing chain/tensioner replaced I've been losing gearbox oil. It's just about to go back in for an MOT and I was wondering if changing this seal is a big job; if that's what's wrong of course... Ta...

When the crank case seal is faulty then the oil loss would be engine oil. Gearbox oil would not be lost with this fault. Gear oil is most commonly lost on the 02A from the driveshaft oil seals. The input shaft seal can give trouble but this is normally diagnosed after the clutch is found to be slipping, in this case due to oil contamination.

Thanks, I'll get the garage to have a look at it when it's in. I'm planning a top end rebuild in the next year and may get by with topping up the gearbox oil until then....