Chaz!

Confused about wether my car is early or late

As title really, I have a 92 VR on a K reg, and I'm not sure if its early spec or late spec, the interior has the hazard switch on top of the column and the mk2 golf style stalks and heater controls, but it has late style fogs and indicators and the bonnet bulge goes the late way, is it a change over year or is my car definitively one way or the other? Its making buying parts a right pain! Anyone else's like this?

Also the car was owned by an old man for a long time before me so it seems unlikely that someone would have fitted late parts etc as its been pretty untouched

Being a 92K reg, it will have early and late parts, I think it was 93 for full late spec

Makes sense, I have a mk2 too which is 89 with all pre 90 stuff inside and post 90 spec outside. Guess I'll just have to double check everything before I buy haha

Sounds like an early modle due to your stalk setup. Another way of telling are your wheel arches. Late Corrados have a bigger bulge than early.

Sounds like a changeover model, early interior, late exterior.

Window switches cut in door panel not on speaker pod? Hatched pattern light switch? External door handle lock sits slightly proud not flush? 3 slat grill?

92 is the crossover year, my valver is '92 so like you has the later exterior options but had all the early interior options. I swapped them all out for the later design as I much prefer it. Its a lot to do though - front door cards (you have to take the brackets for the door cards too and make fixings in the door skin for these), entire dash (so you can use the later heating controls as the centre console plastic is a different shape), later dials, switching including the sunroof and changing some of the loom to suit. I went the whole hog and swapped the seats and carpet as my interior was grey and the donor was black...

With regard to buying parts it also depends whether yours is a coil or dizzy engine set up as I believe the early VRs were dizzy. My VR is 94 which is coil but I'm not sure where the engine cut off year is, otherwise most parts are interchangable.