Sign in to follow this  
Robbo149

Help... what the...!

Just picked my VR up this morning from local garage who have fitted a recon head, new chains, tensioners, clutch (& new coil pack). Driving to work it felt a bit sluggish & I noticed the coolant warning light flashing, then as the engine got warmed up it started spluttering & misfiring really badly, it's basically undriveable! Obviously, I'm taking it back tonight, but anybody got any clues as to what's wrong?!! Needless to say I'm really pee'd off.

Cheers,

Robbo

You kept driving it with the coolant light flashing?

Or you got out, checked the coolant level, satisfied yourself there were no leaks or air locks, and the coolant was full and clean, and the drove on confident in the knowledge that the light's sensor must be faulty?

The coolant & oil probably won't have got up to full temp as the drive to work is only about 2 miles. I have to confess I haven't checked the coolant :oops: Will do that now, & check for anything obvious like any HT leads off.

Robbo

Regardless of distance, a lack of coolant is bad news...!!!!!!

If the engine can heat 7 litres of water from -5 to 80 degrees in less than 5 minutes, it's more than capable of baking itself in the same 5 minutes.

That's the equivalent of running 7 kettles, or about 20 KILOWATTS of heat!!

Check all the pertinent looms (MAF, Coilpack's LT connector, Cam sensor, etc etc) when you get a moment as it's not unusual for a mechanic to forget one or two things. They might have left one unplugged or broken a wire or something. Start with the easy stuff!

If the engine is overheating, they probably introduced and airlock or something. Did they change the stat housing? Stealth always replace those regardless when doing the chains.

K

Oh bugger!!! Just been out for a quick check & the expansion tank is completely dry! can't spot any leaks anywhere. I can hear the aux water pump running when the ignition is on & it sounds a bit gurgly so I guess there's little or no coolant in :shock:

What damage could this have done? as someone's gonna pay for this :x

Robbo

Interesting (?) facts: 20 kilowatts =

10 electric ovens running simultaneously

20 1-bar electric fires running together under the bonnet

a 200-CPU SGI computer running flat out crunching seti data

;)

It's probably leaking out of the thermostat housing, which they may not have put back on properly.

It may not have damaged anything, yet, fill it up and take it straight back to the garage.

Interesting (?) facts: 20 kilowatts =

10 electric ovens running simultaneously

20 1-bar electric fires running together under the bonnet

a 200-CPU SGI computer running flat out crunching seti data

;)

Fascinating but not really related to Rob's prob?

Lack of coolant could cause all kinds of problems, no question.

- And I was just trying to get across how important that wet stuff is Kev!

Not really, unless the excess heat has overcooked something. Did the water temp needle go off the scale?

The blue temp sensor may have gone wild and mega leaned off the mixture but was it running this badly during or prior to the meltdown?

if it overheated, then yes. also, if it's leaking water into the combustion chambers that won't help matters either.

get some fresh coolant in it and look for leaks. check your plugs, and seel if you can smell coolant in the exhasut, or if it's putting out any white smoke.

it goes without saying that you should be giving the garage a good b0llocking right now too.

It wasn't spluttering at first, just felt sluggish. By the time it started & I noticed the coolant light flashing (didn't notice if this was flashing from the off :oops: ), I was just about at work so I didn't notice what the temp gauge got up to either, sorry. I know... I'm a numpty.

Phoned the garage a had words as you said Phat. Mechanic reckoned it was probably an airlock & the temp sensor readings would have messed up the fuelling causing the spluttering. He said to fill it up & take it back for them to check, so that's the next step.

Cheers guys,

Robbo

:(

As kev is probably about to say: fill the water from the top rad hose, not the expansion tank... ;)

(Oh and fit some VT engine mounts while you're at it.) ;)

(Oh and fit some VT engine mounts while you're at it.) ;)

:lol:

It's funny cos it's true! :D

It wasn't spluttering at first, just felt sluggish. By the time it started & I noticed the coolant light flashing (didn't notice if this was flashing from the off :oops: ), I was just about at work so I didn't notice what the temp gauge got up to either, sorry. I know... I'm a numpty.

Phoned the garage a had words as you said Phat. Mechanic reckoned it was probably an airlock & the temp sensor readings would have messed up the fuelling causing the spluttering. He said to fill it up & take it back for them to check, so that's the next step.

Cheers guys,

Robbo

:(

that sounds about right. the over fuelling would cause spluttering. just fill it and run it at fast idle for a few minutes with the expansion cap off and keep squeezing the hoses and shaking them to loosen up and trapped air bubbles.

Cheers Paul, that's what I'll be doing in my lunch break then!

Just hope the coolant's not dissapearing internally somewhere!

Robbo

You'd have noticed in your rear view if 7 litres of coolant went through the head gasket, I'd have thought!

If it is airlocks, the garage should of made sure they got them all out first before handing over the car!

Did they drive it after such a big job to make sure everything is ok??

You'd have noticed in your rear view if 7 litres of coolant went through the head gasket, I'd have thought!

Yeah that's what I thought, although I didn't notice when the coolant warning light came on or how high the temp gauge got! :oops:

Andy - I don't know whether they tset drove it or not, but I'll certainly be finding out. I would have thought it would be essential after such major work!

Cheers,

Robbo