Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

VW Cup Racing - Don't know how true......

.....but sounds about right. Heard over the grapevine today from someone who works at Snetterton that VW are none too pleased about out of production models (i.e. Corrado's) that keep trouncing their current models in the VW Cup. He reckon's VW are making things a bit awkward obtaining parts for the C's etc. Don't know if there's any truth in it, but sounds about par for the course..... :roll:

Hahah.. well if they actually made their new cars any good then we wouldn't have this problem would we. Everyone here knows that there are a literal handful of new VW's worth owning - I can think back to soooo many more 'old' VW's that i'd much rather own that modern versions. Myself, RobyD and Tempest were talking about something very similar at the pub yesterday.

VW only have themselves to blame for this.

So that's why all the Corrado parts are twice as expensive as everything else!

Yeah VW could have done more to their *performance* cars at the factory but if Mr Piech hadn't stepped in as Group chief Exec in the mid 90s, the likes of the R32/R36 and Veyron wouldn't exist today. Unlike his predecessor, Piech was very keen on performance cars.

What we need are more R flavour vehicles from VW. Even Evo rate the R32 very highly, so VW are on the right track.

K

They need a back to basics type car that offers thrills rather than frills. I know I can do without a sunroof, leccy windows, aircon etc etc if the car is a brilliant drive.

Exactly, like what Renault did with the Clio Cup and what BM did with M3 CSL. Trouble is, they tend to charge you more for removing all the luxuries......so you'd be better off buying the normal version and stripping it yourself......then flog all the parts on eBay to the buyers of the stripped out models who miss electric windows and air-con!

Now how about a Stripped Lupo with the MK5 2.0 FSI Turbo engine in it?

Which reminds me, saw a Lupo recently going like the clappers and it's number plate of S3 LPO must be an indicator of why it was so darn quick!

They need a back to basics type car that offers thrills rather than frills. I know I can do without a sunroof, leccy windows, aircon etc etc if the car is a brilliant drive.

sounds like you need a Porsche 968 Clubsport in your life :wink:

Amen. One of the many reasons why i'd love a Clio 172 cup.. I really don't make a lot of use of the 'frills' in my car, and i've never had air con so know I can live without it. Who needs it in this country where its hot for about 31 of the 365 days in the year anyway!

I think VW have to ladle all this 'lard' onto their cars now because they are quite a big player in the USA.. and Americans love their comforts, if Tempests early US spec G60 is anything to go by! Air con, cruise control, and electric seatbelts! Whatever next! :)

Hahah.. well if they actually made their new cars any good then we wouldn't have this problem would we. Everyone here knows that there are a literal handful of new VW's worth owning - I can think back to soooo many more 'old' VW's that i'd much rather own that modern versions. Myself, RobyD and Tempest were talking about something very similar at the pub yesterday.

VW only have themselves to blame for this.

Well said , my current wish list includes Karmann Ghia, Splitty, Type 2, Mk1 GT1, Mk1 Convertible, oh, and a VR Corrado! Nothing new inspires me from VW at all. Too lardy and lacking in character.

Have VW not heard of market specific cars??? America can have their Double Whopper with cheese cars and we can have the Ceaser salad cars.....

I rather like the little Lupo GTI in that respect, but typically for VW, they give it a ridiculous price. Like a LOT more than the much much quicker Clio 172's....

jimsG60, Couldn't bring myself to buy any Lupo just on the basis of whoever 'designed' the crappy fuel cap flap. Must have had ten minutes to spare and a budget of £10 to do it. Whatever happened to engineering? Would have been better off using a Post-It Note for a fuel cap!

my current wish list includes Karmann Ghia, Splitty, Type 2, Mk1 GT1, Mk1 Convertible, oh, and a VR Corrado! Nothing new inspires me from VW at all. Too lardy and lacking in character.

Well, I've got the MKI Golf GTI, I've had the Type 2, and I've got a VR6 Killer G60 Corrado and don't fancy a MKI convertable too much due to the hairdresser image it still has, but I'd still kill for a nice Splitty like some of the ones at All Types... 8)

I know what you are saying though.... I've not seen a VW that got my pulse going since the motorshow 6 years ago where they had the W12 sports car prototype on show...

Now that WAS a nice looking car, with the performance to match... :D 8)

I wonder if maybe they're overreacting a little? This thread comes immediately after a double win for Ken Lark at Snetterton in his Corrado - he ALWAYS does well there! I don't know the circuit but my best guess is it probably suits the C if it's that much quicker. (Lots of high speed corners where the fwd, power and grip can do it's stuff?)

I don't think it's the same at every circuit, is it?

The newer cars mostly have 4x4 so lose a certain amount of power to that, but it gives them a big advantage at the start line and in slow corners. They are also heavier, but more powerful, so they should have more mechanical grip, and enough power to propel them nearly as nicely as the C, but then they're all very tall, so maybe that counts against them?

I don't think it's to do with him using VW parts, but more towards the image that is being given ie 10 year old car beats all of their new stuff.

I wonder if maybe they're overreacting a little? This thread comes immediately after a double win for Ken Lark at Snetterton in his Corrado - he ALWAYS does well there! I don't know the circuit but my best guess is it probably suits the C if it's that much quicker. (Lots of high speed corners where the fwd, power and grip can do it's stuff?)

I think the circuit just suit's Ken from a driving perspective. If you get a long enough straight the Corrado's aerodynamics do give it a straight line advantage over the other models, but historically Ken hasn't had that much success at Donnington which is also a very quick circuit.

I think VW (to an extent) should be applauded for what they achieve with theVW Racing Cup. They could so easily have rigged it to exclude older models, or gave the new cars an advantage and yet instead by using the power/weight formula they've allowed a really successful series to develop where various Golfs, Ventos Sciroccos, Corrados, Lupos and even a Caddy are often racing each other bumper to bumper.

I think VW realise the importance of thier heritage in this respect, and I'm just glad they do. Most manufacturers just set up a one-make series for thier current model

[quote="corozinThey could so easily have rigged it to exclude older models, or gave the new cars an advantage and yet instead by using the power/weight formula they've allowed a really successful series to develop where various Golfs, Ventos Sciroccos, Corrados, Lupos and even a Caddy are often racing each other bumper to bumper.

I think VW realise the importance of thier heritage in this respect, and I'm just glad they do. Most manufacturers just set up a one-make series for thier current model

Oi! Alright I'll forgive you forgetting about our Polos that also race in the VW Cup. :lol: Dont discount us cos of poor showing recently - the car has been rebuilt and further developed and should b seriously on the pace for Oulton!

lm a mechanic in the series as my mate is the driver of the Polo (No.40), yeah VW ideally would like to see their current model trounch everyone for ths season as they wanted their MK4 to win last year, and they aint too happy about Rob in his Scirocco and Ken in the Corrado winning all the time. Croft saw the beetle win in the hands of Philip House but he's an instructor at Croft.

Remember also that Ken Lark has spent £80k on his corrado! :shock: :shock:

Remember also that Ken Lark has spent £80k on his corrado! :shock: :shock:

and he never moans like dr_matt and kevhaywire do :-P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: