Ray1965

Whats your opinions on these?

I am now ready for some new suspension on my VR. Rears are very tired and are starting to weep oil. I am Currently looking into these sets of coil overs. Not sure what quality they are, but they both are in the budget i have.

Would be most kind to have some feed back.

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/volkswagen/corrado/apex-rdx-coilover-suspension-kit-corrado-18-18-g60-20-29-vr6-0988

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/volkswagen/corrado/ap-coilover-suspension-kit-corrado-18-18-g60-20-29-vr6-0988

http://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/volkswagen/corrado/fk-highsport-coilover-suspension-kit-corrado-18-18-g60-20-0189

:shrug::shrug::thumbleft:

All good choices I think. FK always seem to get high praise. The only experience I have of any of those is I've got AP's on a MK1 Golf GTI in stock at the moment and it rides nicely, without being too bouncy/crashy

Just don't want to make a bad choice as there are so many on the market. Obviously when your on a budget as well. As always you only get what you pay for.

Cheers for your comment Hairy.

More feed back would be good. :thumbleft:

Edited by Ray1965

As mentioned on the other thread, is there a reason for coilovers, not shocks and springs? I'm no expert but general opinion seems to be for driving/ride quality you'll get more for your money with shocks/springs. However, if you're after big 'lows' then it's coilovers.

On my last MK2 Golf 16v I replaced every nut, bolt, bush etc with standard, along with standard shocks and Eibach lowering springs (mainly as you can't get standard 16v springs any longer) and the combination of ride quality and handling was excellent. Eibach springs with Koni shocks is a very popular set-up on Golfs, it makes a nice balance

We are agents for all KW suspension products, and AP offer fantastic value for money. They are KW's entry level kit, but do not make the mistake of thinking them to be alongside the other "budget" offerings on the market, the AP kits punch far above that weight. We have fitted AP coilover kits to a number of Corrados and all the recipients have been delighted with their performance.

Thing is, there's a lot of snobbery about suspension sometimes, even on this very forum. But the reality is a lot of people simply don't have £1,000 (or more) to blow on top end suspension and you need to find a fair compromise. I've only heard good things about the AP coilovers - indeed have been considering giving it a try myself for some time.

Look no further Jim, I will be delighted to equip your Corrado accordingly, and sort your alignment as well

Heh... Would be happy to deal with you of course John but think I am going to put my Corrado away next year, so won't be something I get around to for a while I don't think. Will be in touch when I come to look into it though :)

Will be happy to help, in your time Jim. We've just invested 12k on an eight camera alignment rig, and it's so worth the money.

Just had a good 2 hour drive after fitting the AP's, really pleased with them. Ride is firmer but that's to be expected other than that it's all good!

Ray your not far from me, if your not sure pop down and i'll take you out for a spin

Me Thinks thats a good idea you have there. Will be in touch as soon as i get the cash. TBH i was swaying towards AP's. My son has them on his MK6 golf gti and the ride is ok on this car.

Having said that the Corrado vr is lot heavier than a golf. So it would make sense to take you up on your offer and see how they are, thats very kind.

BTW Where did you buy yours from Mr A5?

Edited by Ray1965

To relight this old post i did. I'm going for a set of AP coil overs in the near future. I will be changing the top mounts as well, anyone recently replaced there's, where's the best place to buy from and what make etc.

Front from the dealer but rear are obsolete. Go Lemforder for the rears mate, they're what the dealership use when items are NLA I'm led to believe. Those are what I used anyway.

Cheers for the info Sean, any tips and potential hic ups to look out for when fitting the coilies. I know i'll have to have the wheel alingnment set back up.

No worries Ray. Rears are an absolute doddle, but you may need a windy gun or a some sort of home made tool to get the top nuts off of the front, as if they're corroded they won't come off without a real fight.

Fitted some AP's to mine to replace my old cheapo coil overs and it was easy as until the top nut. Popped down to my mechanic and borrowed his electric impact gun and voila, job done.

Cheers for the info Sean, any tips and potential hic ups to look out for when fitting the coilies. I know i'll have to have the wheel alingnment set back up.

Interested to hear how you get on assuming you go for the AP's. Still need to sort suspension on mine at some point and I think they're right on the money. I just can't stomach the price of stuff like KW V1's, especially given that the car doesn't do many miles.

Interested to hear how you get on assuming you go for the AP's. Still need to sort suspension on mine at some point and I think they're right on the money. I just can't stomach the price of stuff like KW V1's, especially given that the car doesn't do many miles.

the KW's have shot up over the past few years!

plus if i am honest Jim the V1's are a little too unforgiving on our god awful roads. maybe the slightly softer spring rate that can be brought could help but really they need the adjustability of the 2's or 3's, which are now silly money.

however, get them on some decent flat (ish) tarmac - IE a properly laid smooth tarmac road which our councils now seem unable to produce - & they are sublime, then get them on some decent twisties & they show their value through & through

the refreshed bushes on front wishbones & rear beam also give them that added softening in bump

that said, you get what you pay for & i have done about 60K on my V1's & they are still as good as when fitted