Jim

Anyone here got a new shape Fiesta ST?

It's crazy but it's true. I'm not sure why the R was being so heavily subsidised, but that's why people have been buying them in their droves rather than the GTI!

A friend has had an eco boost from new. She loves it and is planning on trading it in for an ST very soon.

All the reviews I see on this car rave about it.

Have you seen this one?

[video=youtube;Gbcj-zE7gBw]

Shall check that one out later! Cool! :)

Ahh.. it's Matt Farah. I know he's a big Fiesta ST fan so I can guess how that review is going to go :)

Forget the M3 and 1-series. Have a colleague at work, who used to be a big BMW fan, until his recent lease adventures (yes, another lease-fanatic) resulting in his girl-friends 1-series having gone back to the dealer (not fit for purpose - gearbox issues, more on that in a sec), and his M3 has been in the dealer's garage for the last 4-5 weeks (gearbox issues, wait, I'll tell you in a mo), courtesy car a 1-series, with potentially same issues as girlfriend's 1-series.

Girlfriend's 1-series will be replaced with an Evoque (at least we know our own stuff).

Gearbox? Yup, at traffic light, eg. engine would cut out, then come back on, gearbox reset (software), resulting in driver having to press brake prior to driving off. Both 1 and 3 started doing this mid-travel, too, ouch, extremely dangerous!!! Dealer installed a data logger in glovebox and read out faults after a few more weeks, needed to contact BMW in Germany for advice. BMW playing the "Toyota"-game, i.e. "NFF=No fault found", total denial. Borg-Warner (or whatever they're called), US company make the box with German Getrag German bits bolted on (software), Getrag ultimately having found a conflict of signals on the CAN bus between the aircon system, the accelerator/EMS and another ECU.

So, what was my colleague told, who incidentally can today collect his car? Erm, dear dealer, I am rather scared of driving this car. Software patch won't be available till next year summer, because BMW deny everything. The dealer has applied some patch from Getrag.

He's thinking of handing the keys back to his M3, too. This is a big issue that BMW seem to have on all their 1-series and 3-series using that gearbox and software, but like Toyota with their UAP (Unintended Acceleration Problem) are in total denial. They deserve the force of the law, quite honestly.

Just as well I am teaching High Integrity Software design, BMW could need my services.

Tempest

These manuals or Auto? Which models?

The other half has had an E91 from new that has now done 90thou with no problems.

One of my mates had a 123d and a 320d, again, both with no issues. Can't say I have ever heard of the problem you are describing.

These manuals or Auto? Which models?

The other half has had an E91 from new that has now done 90thou with no problems.

One of my mates had a 123d and a 320d, again, both with no issues. Can't say I have ever heard of the problem you are describing.

has to be auto mate.

jim, go test one and that will help you. As said the dealer will want to win you away from your lease so let them try to your benefit mate. Then find a golf r deal and let me have a go :)

has to be auto mate.

jim, go test one and that will help you. As said the dealer will want to win you away from your lease so let them try to your benefit mate. Then find a golf r deal and let me have a go :)

Having thought about it it must be the autos, as software patches would not be applicable to manuals. In which case saying forget about BMWs because of something that only effects Autos and probably only a minority of them is ridiculous. Having been on M3 cutters for a few months I haven't seen a single thread about this issue.

Enjoyable watch of that video and spooky really as I'd been debating an E46 M3 as it's been in my dream garage for some time. But I think I'd just be walking into the realm of potentially terrible bills again, which is entirely contra to the reason why I'm thinking of changing to something new.

Could just do with a couple of years of fixed / predictable expenditure on the car, but still want something with a bit of sparkle to enjoy on the roads.

Will try and speak to some Ford dealers over the coming months and see about a test drive!

Not a patch on so many cars on this forum mate. Really needs a *lot* of paintwork sorting out on it :(

Though hopefully a year or so of it off the road, and I could get some of that seen to. Maybe.

Just looking at your Sig pic Jim...... The rado looks great to come back to after a break

I have done something along the same lines after the hassle of trying to put right the shameful and downright dangerous bodge's on my Corrado (It nearly killed me and a mate) and one blaming previous owner "blah blah" from a apparently well respected forum member it's like what Tempest was saying regarding the 1 and 3 series Bm's having issue's and BMW like totally denying responsibility. I have purchased a lovely old car that is easy to drive/fix/cheap to run and most important cool as Fcuk (only 5 left in uk) until I am ready to be bothered with the Corrado again. Jim your's is in need of minor repair's compared to other's like you say get a lease and do bit's on the Corrado over the time of the lease and you will be more than eager when the time come's to get back in the saddle.

I'll post some pic's 2moro of the stop gap car for all you eager viewer's

:tumbleweed::tumbleweed::tumbleweed:

Edited by clumpy1

Not a patch on so many cars on this forum mate. Really needs a *lot* of paintwork sorting out on it :(

Though hopefully a year or so of it off the road, and I could get some of that seen to. Maybe.

The rado owners mantra right there. Thing is though, it IS a lovely motor mate that you have put a lot into. I think we all think that our own doesn't cut it with the best as the standard of some cars on here is quite something!

My point before was to say that in your position I would store it out of the way for a bit while using something modern and re visit it when ready.

I agree with Chris on this Jim. Yours is better than your giving it credit for. We all agonise over the small details and there's very few who won't be able to point out a dozen things wrong with their car. I've spent a huge amount of time, effort and money on mine yet I could still do that. I know it's given you a rough ride the last year or so, but there simply won't be anything that will cost much to put right if it does break down. I know your thinking from a reliability perspective, but I don't think any of the problems you've had have meant you couldn't make a journey within 10 minutes on finding the problem? How much will the lease cost you over the 2 years - that money can be put towards the Corrado in preventative maintenance ie Changing out sensors, abs components, wheel bearings etc when you have time. Or save that to be put toward paint as that seems to be what's most on your mind. Stick with it mate, take it for what it is and remember how good it really is. :thumbleft:

Indeed - two years lease money could go towards a full respray and full driveline overhaul, for example. But I really do just fancy something different for a while. I mean I've owned Corrado's now since 2002 and indeed have not been without a Corrado now for... er... 8 years. I just fancy a break from it.

So is this a new car to replace the Corrado (selling up) or is it to run as a proper daily and store the Corrado away?

I won't be using the Corrado, but I don't plan to sell it... so I guess the latter mate.

Ideal situation, you know where you are with your Corrado, you get to try something new and you can come back to it whenever you fancy..

So long as you keep doing odd little jobs on it which are far more pleasurable when there isn't the urgency of thinking 'i need this car to be running to get to work etc' then the Corrado will continue to improve.. Its easier to grab 'bargain' parts as well when there is no urgency..

I like Fords, although i haven't had a go of a new Fiesta.. Try all the competitors that meet the same criteria and budget and go with what you like… As already said if a dealer isn't keen to let you test drive then walk away, another one will, they want the business...

I hated my bottom of the range 06 fiesta, horrible crate,

however, my mates Focus ST is fantastic fun, I think top of the range sporty fords are good. I wouldn't go near anything else in there range.

let us know how it goes?

I'm trying to get something all sorted for Jan/Feb next year - will of course keep folks posted if I do get a new motor.

Having thought about it it must be the autos, as software patches would not be applicable to manuals. In which case saying forget about BMWs because of something that only effects Autos and probably only a minority of them is ridiculous. Having been on M3 cutters for a few months I haven't seen a single thread about this issue.

Not ridiculous because you've missed the essence of the post, not whether the car is an auto or manual, but how BMW deal with it, i.e. total denial. Is that their policy? It was Toyota's, and they rightfully got the book thrown at them.

Had 2 older style diesel Fiesta vans in my former place of employment, and were very happy with them indeed for what we had them for.

Tempest

How long did the VAG management totally deny any problems with its injectors being a problem on the 2.0tdi range before they finally caved in and issued a recall?

Every main stream manufacturer are guilty of denying a problem until there is no other choice.

Seems the recalls are becoming more and more the norm nowadays.

There is a U tube channel I subscribe to called "Eric the car guy" and "etcg1" he's an ex Acura/Honda dealer mechanic gone solo, really interesting (and informative) watching his video's, particularly the one about how Honda's quality took a nose dive beyond the nineties, it would seem there all up to it now. He basically says that a lot of his time post naughties was spent doing recall work, and not service stuff, and he got totally sick of it.

That's the problem with complicated machines, they loose their reliability unless the extra time and money is spent on over engineering. Where the price is the point everyone works too, you're always going to have compromises.

I work on aircraft for a living and the amount of work I do that can be classed as recall is staggering. Another victim of cost over reliability. But a lot of that is the government spending a fortune on a domestic product for the sakes of politics and not buying an off the shelf alternative. But that is an argument for another thread.

So true Sean. By the time it's gone through the design, testing, and manufacturing stages, it's already 10 years out of date, cost 10x more than an off the shelf product, and obsolete technology before it even comes into service. :rolleyes:

I like new new st fiesta, why are all these new petrol engines doing 45mpg average??? great looking car and would consider one all day long