delfinis38

Mk2 golf

I've always wanted a mk2 golf, and when looking for an oak green three door in 1994' I some how managed to buy a 16valve corrado. And there was no looking back since....

Anyway I need another toy, and Xmas bonus coming round...

Without me joining a golf forum wonder if I could gather some knowledge.

Difference in the model range 8 v 16 v gti. When did they change big/ small bumper

What model is most desirable, what do I need to look for when buying.

Was there a limited production run on the oak green like a rado storm ?

Most desirable.... mk2 16v G60 Limited!

The change was around 1990, as they got big bumpers, full front windows, different interiors etc

8v was 112bhp and 16v was 139bhp, 16v was the one to go for and probably command a premium still over the 8v but to be honest it's all about condition really

I would go G60 though, awesome cars

Rust is going to be your main problem on them especially behind the bodykit

Edited by A5 VRX

Genuine mk2 G60s are very hard to come by now and command a very high price. If your after classic originality then small bumpers seem to be the most desirable. Mk2s as a whole have risen in price in recent years for good original examples, due do the fact that so many now have either succumbed to rust, or have had not so good 20vt or vr6 conversations. Decent unmolested examples are getting thin on the ground but the 16v is the most desirable over the 8v, and still a hoot to drive. Most valvers I've seen have been oak green if I'm honest, so not sure if the colour was limited to numbers or year.

The Oak Green thing isn't a rare colour but it's made out to be, Bright Blue Metalic is a great colour and not as common, I think the small bumpers (pre 90) were all non PAS models too so 90 spec got power steering

Edited by A5 VRX

The side window in the doors changed to the larger type in 1988, interiors changed too, PAS became an option then also. Big bumpers came out after August 1989, so true 90 spec will be G, H, J and very rare on a K plate. There are some old stock on G plate with small bumpers too. Run out big bumper cars also got a different interior from H plate onwards until the end of production

There was a 20 year campagn model in oak green or ????? blue with small bumpers on a late E plate / early F plate

There's plenty of books available, so probably best to buy one to aid your research.

Rust gets the sills, the bottom of the A pillars, rear panels and rear hatches in particular. Anywhere there's been previous accident repair will most likely have some rust too.

My 90 big bumper 8V was non PAS, manual windows, non central locking and 14 inch steel wheels. I should never have sold it.....

Metallic Schwartz Blau is the colour you want if you want a rare colour that's not rare cos it's foul :lol: As above 16v G60 limited is probably the rarest but they only came in four door which is a shame. Yep Dox a mate of mine had an Oak Green campaign on an E plate that was mint.

Campaigns were Helios Blue, Oak Green and Swartz Black, I had a 16v Swartz Black around 2002/3, one owner from new and 29k on the clock, only sold it as a Storm I'd wanted came up for sale two weeks after I bought it... typical

Here's a pretty poor pic of it, it sold again recently with over 100k on the clock :bonk:

Mine belonged to a friends mum who bought it new, then him, then he sold it to a complete twat that ran it into the ground.

When I got it

DSCF0140.jpg

Halfway through

DSC00110.jpg

The day she went wearing all her lovely rare and NOS bits :(

16052007010.jpg

Kid who bought it ruined it and apparently sold it to Storm to become "something really special". That was about 7 or 8 years ago now and it's not been seen since :(

My mother has a K-reg Mk2 Rivage cabby with just 80k miles rotting away under her car port. She just wants someone to love it so I have agreed to trailer it the three hour drive to my house early next year when the weather warms back up and take it off her hands. I think Mk2's are may favourite, though I think with a Corrado to contend with I think I'm mad, but I can keep it in my garage and take my time on it.

Good luck with your hunt :)

Sold my Helios Blue 8v a couple of years ago :(

Great cars, a mate had an oak green 16v, i'm sure in 10 years + we will both still be reminiscing about them !

Watch out for sagging roof lining on later cars !

I dearly miss my almost imaculate 1989 big bumper Atlas Grey 16v. I had it back in the mid 90's and it was my first really nice car. It must have been one of the first big bumpers. G415 BLT or something very similar (I always remember the Bacon Lettuce Tomato jokes from my brother).

The 16v had power steering, electric front windows and the bee sting aerial of course. I think the small bumper cars had slightly different doors with different quarter lights and wing mirror placement - and small bumpers.

I'd have another tomorrow, particularly a G60.

Edited by Portent

Sold my Helios Blue 8v a couple of years ago :(

Great cars, a mate had an oak green 16v, i'm sure in 10 years + we will both still be reminiscing about them !

Watch out for sagging roof lining on later cars !

That looked a cracker Daren but then I would expect no less from you ;)

B****y hell I've just checked and my old 16v is still taxed so must be on the road somewhere :D

EDIT: And it was actually a 1990.

That looked a cracker Daren but then I would expect no less from you ;)

Thanks James, though it looked good in a photo it really needed a full re-spray & new glass,bumpers & plastics to have been really nice.:)

Thanks James, though it looked good in a photo it really needed a full re-spray & new glass,bumpers & plastics to have been really nice.:)

Picture's do that. I'm sure it wasn't quite that bad Daren we all think our's is not as good as other's view it ;)

B****y hell I've just checked and my old 16v is still taxed so must be on the road somewhere :D

EDIT: And it was actually a 1990.

My old ones sorned and last MOT ran out May 2012 :(