stuarttaylor37

Magnetic sump plugs

you have an oil filer to do that job :)

I think some gearbox plugs were magnetic though, might be of some use as that oil's not filtered

I bought one a few weeks back to put in my new engine build, can't be any harm in it, unless you get a cheap one and the magnet comes off and sticks to the crank. That could be interesting :lol:

Some people also use a magnetic band around the oil filter housing.

Cant see them doing any harm, unless they snap off inside the sump.

Or you could get a neodymium magnet off ebay, and stick it on the head of the sump plug. Probably do the same the thing.

Id avoid the sump plug and just get a very strong magnet and plop it on the outside of the sump to aboid any mishaps , it will still do the same job

Id avoid the sump plug and just get a very strong magnet and plop it on the outside of the sump to aboid any mishaps , it will still do the same job

Good suggestion. Anyone know where to source a suitably strong magnet?

An external magnet fixed to the sump would collect any swarf, but you'd never be able to clean it off without removing the sump.

An old speaker would provide a magnet if you went ahead with it

Yoir right but i think even after a few years they wouldnt collect that much and then removing the sump to clear it wouldnt be to much of a job if you just scheduled it in to an oil change

The shape of the magnet is critical. Flat and wide disc N45 magnets will loose their magnetism, sometimes permanently, when heated to above 80*C, the long cylinder shape used in magnetic sump plugs is good for 140*C. N45 magnets are better the N52 in regards to operating temps.

Edited by science

But the same swarf would be collected via the filter and disposed of several times before you remove the sump?

I have one similar to this

52541797749a4cb6e286d55f59822b03.jpg

Goes between filter and housing,needs a longer bolt,but is easily split and cleaned out !

(I bought it from Demon Tweeks years ago,and on my "other car !) but it does work

When I took my oil pump off I found quite a few bits of metal in there. Mainly from the chain top tensioner blade.

Also noticed something had got into the piston and been eaten by the engine. Had loads of dents in the piston. I reckon that might of been a bit of spark plug had fallen off though.

Thanks for the replies

you have an oil filer to do that job :)

Its not doing its job then as I found a few small pieces of swarf when I dropped the sump last time.

If the one referenced is as well made and as strong as the manufacturers claim could there be any detrimental effects?

Thanks for the replies

Its not doing its job then as I found a few small pieces of swarf when I dropped the sump last time.

The gauze in the oil pump pick up is doing its job then?

Thanks for the replies

If the one referenced is as well made and as strong as the manufacturers claim could there be any detrimental effects?

Needless? dent in you wallet?