Gwr vr6

Super charge or turbo ??

As per title on a 24v lump , looking at the future , what's the most practical reliable cost effective for pound for pound ? Once the car is fully sorted services etc etc , what would be the best option , what should I be looking at , the cost element etc , or how about cams and throttle bodies ?? Any advice would be great yes I'm a newbie so any advice would be great , be looking at this probably match April next year as the car would of had a lot of Tlc by then and be ready for future performance mods

Turbo'ing is pretty well regarded now as the best way of going forced induction on these V6's. The only reason you'd supercharge is if you can't stretch to the cost of a decent turbo install which is easily double if not more.

Thanks for the heads up Jim , I think I need to count my

Penny's and count up the full

Cost etc , I would

Like super charger tbh as it's a constant tap , but will do more research and

See what comes up , thanks again mate

I can't speak for the 24V as it's a very different engine to the 12V but the turbo is just insane compared to the supercharger. I've never owned either, but have driven both. Thing with the charger is that it matches the characteristics of the VR6 engine in that it still needs to be revved to get the most out of it, whereas the turbo the torque comes in so quickly. And from the various dyno plots and results I've seen in the last few years, turbo yields much better results overall.

But as I say, comes at a price. Not cheap.

This was asked recently with loads of answers/input.

Yes as recently as April 2012 :D

Personally since the price of turbos has come down drastically and bang for buck I would say turbo.

Yes as recently as April 2012 :D

Personally since the price of turbos has come down drastically and bang for buck I would say turbo.

Time flies.

Ohh don't like the sound of that lol , wouldn't want silly power , hence why a low boost , or possible cams and remap ? Are there decent gains to be had on the 24v lump ? Just had a good drive in her today , and she is very deceiving , so silky smooth you don't realise how quick your really going ,

to be fair if you want a little bit more poke go for a remap and some suttle mods

if you go superchaged or even turbo the extra power and torque may be too much from what you are saying.

I set out to do 300 bhp from a turbo setup as a first stab. I have that now but its being restrictive. Should have more with the work done but simple changes should see massive gain.

As said may be just simple mods may be best for now then progress to charging it

Cheers lilfuZer for the words , seems bang on the mix , it just needs a bit more grunt , not loads as she is a real good mile muncher as she is , I'm off over chrimbo will be doing a fair bit then , then I'm for body work wtc thanks for advice folk most appreciated

I feel it's worth adding something here. Turbos are great but as identified the 24v engine is quite different to the 12v and I do not think there are many FI bits for a 2.8 24v engine. We all know there are plenty of R32Ts running around now but again it's a different engine and has been a popular choice for turboing over the last 4-5 years.

When considering superchargers people tend to think only of the Z charger or Vortech chargers. It's worth thinking in terms of the Rotrex chargers here. I am aware of at least one Rotrex charged 24v 4mo Golf running IRO 450bhp. The Rotrex works much more like a turbo in its delivery and is an impressive piece of kit. It's also self contained in that you do not have to plumb it into the car's oil system as it runs it's own. The oil needs changing every year. To get decent power rewards though, you need to be factoring in an inter cooler, at least forged conrods if not forged pistons, updated clutch and probably a larger bore exhaust system. A race cat to replace the standard restrictive item is also going to help. Finally, the obvious brake and chassis upgrades must not be overlooked.

The point is when looking at the 24v engine, it's not automatically a turbo decision. HTH