britpop95

Pcv valve replacement can someone help

Now then everyone , im after replacing my pcv valve on my vr6, the only new part i can seem to find is for the mk3 golf vr6, will this be ok fitted to the 2.9 vr6? Just thinking it could confuse the ecu being sold as for the golf vr6

Not sure they even do that much. I'm removing mine. I was quite sure the electrical plug is just a blank with no pins in it.

it is a blank. VW don't sell the PCV separately from the whole elbow. Ford however do :)

I removed mine & its fine so you could do that. OR you could try ford to get a new PCV.

Just a little filter, vents to earth. But like vag hag says, if you give ford a call, apparently they do them for cheaper as the galaxy uses the vr6 engine

Am not driving round with a hole in my inlet btw. Engine isn't in car yet. :lol:

Didn't want to cause any confusion.

mine is still connected to inlet but by a straight pipe instead of the PCV. or you can use a mini filter or catch can :)

PCV stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation - i.e. the oil vapour from the top of the hot engine gets sucked out by the pressure in the inlet manifold. The valve is just there to open this channel into the inlet only when there's a decent amount of manifold vacuum (e.g. you're at full throttle) so there's enough airflow to draw the oil vapour into the engine to burn it off.

The blue plug - which as correctly stated above is just a connecting piece with no electrical pins in our cars - contains a heater element in cars with the cold-climate pack (only Canada?) which stops the oil vapour condensing on cold engine parts like the ISV when it's chilly out. We don't need it as it doesn't get cold enough.

You can just replace the lot with a straight hose into the inlet elbow with no ill effects - there'll just be slightly more oil in the inlet than usual so you'll need to clean your ISV every couple of years. Don't forget to plug the vacuum line to the valve! If your inlet elbow is the plastic version it's probably cracked around the bottom of the corrugated section since they almost all are - the early rubber type don't do this as badly. Run a hand over the underside of the corrugated section - if it comes away oily it's probably split. 42draft Designs do an alloy inlet elbow replacement which will never split...

Stone

Well stone that's explained it! Interesting point about not getting cold enough here in the uk. I will have a look at draft designs I've seen some of there products before. Cheers mate