Tobz_mw

Corrado first timer!

Hello everyone! Well as you guys have probably guessed from the title I am looking to purchase my first corrado and I thougt what better place too look and seek advice. First off I'm just wondering what sort of feedback people have on the different engines.

I know the vr6 and the g60 are the more desirable but then wondered if the 1.8 and 2.0 16v ae still a good option to look at? main reason for asking is I'm more looking for a project to get ready for summer so looking to spend around £1000-£1500 which obviously isn't g60 money and I have seen a couple of vr6 around this area but there not the best examples.

Cheers Toby

Edited by Tobz_mw

1.8 would be my choice of the two, but if you're handy with a spanner, fitting the 1.8 cams to the 2.0 makes a huge difference, and you'll up the performance to around 160 bhp going on what others have posted. I test drove a 2.0 when I first got into the cars about 4 years ago. I was left very underwhelmed if I'm honest. The 1.8 felt much more spritely although most performance is delivered higher up the rev range. The early cars (1.8 16v) are cheaper to buy parts for even though its harder to find them as there are less around. Late (2.0 16v) are far more numerous for parts, but they do command a premium to be honest. I'd suggest a drive of as many as possible different engine types, and see which suits your driving style best.

Cheers for the info! Seems to be more 1.8s around anyway so will have to check a few out and see as the only previous corrado I've driven was a friends g60 and that had me sold on one right there!

Welcome Tobz!

Good choice of car (engine tbc! lol) I've literally today swapped my 2.0 16v for a VR6 Corrado. This isn't anything against the 2.0 but had a MK3 VR6 Golf some years ago and missed it so had to swap.

I went from a MK2 Golf GTI 16v with standard 1.8 KR, to the 2.0 16v 9a in the C. As mentioned above, I was a little underwhelmed at first. First gear seemed to have no go in it. However, once I settled in to it, I found the engine torquey, it's a fairly rapid car and to be honest I really like the engine now. Personally I'd rather have the 2.0 over the 1.8.

As Sean says though, drive each example and see which you prefer ;)

Hello everyone! Well as you guys have probably guessed from the title I am looking to purchase my first corrado and I thougt what better place too look and seek advice. First off I'm just wondering what sort of feedback people have on the different engines.

I know the vr6 and the g60 are the more desirable but then wondered if the 1.8 and 2.0 16v ae still a good option to look at? main reason for asking is I'm more looking for a project to get ready for summer so looking to spend around £1000-£1500 which obviously isn't g60 money and I have seen a couple of vr6 around this area but there not the best examples.

Cheers Toby

Don't rule out the 2.0 8v either , I would probably have one over the 16v tbh

I will have too try some out if I could find anyone brave enough to give me some wheel time! Aslong as there good honest cars Im just going too consider all engines then by the seems of it (except any autos) as its just going to be a second car anyway and something too use on the dsys off

I payed 1200 for my G60 this time last year so one can be had within your budget although the guy that sold me mine was rather deceptive with his advertisement so do as much research as you can. Theres a nice standard red G60 for sale up here for 1500 just now. Anything G60 and vr will likely needa fair bit of tlc at sub 1500 but if that's what your after then it's a good time to buy but I wouldn't bother with valvers.

Tobz, I daily drive a 2.0 16v that has kr cams, K&N panel, chipped and full exhaust. It' also getting a 50mm intake once it's back from the powder coaters.

Anyway your not too far from me (Bingley) if you wanted an idea as to how they go I could give you a demo.

Stuart.

Tobz, I daily drive a 2.0 16v that has kr cams, K&N panel, chipped and full exhaust. It' also getting a 50mm intake once it's back from the powder coaters.

Anyway your not too far from me (Bingley) if you wanted an idea as to how they go I could give you a demo.

Stuart.

Cheers stuart yeah might just have too take you up on that! What sort of power are you getting from your mods?

Cheers toby

Cheers stuart yeah might just have too take you up on that! What sort of power are you getting from your mods?

Cheers toby

No idea, not had it rolling road setup as yet but will do after the inlet is on.

and I have seen a couple of vr6 around this area but there not the best examples.

Cheers Toby

Steady on buddy! I own one of those and know the other 2 haha! welcome along anyways, any chance the G60 you tried was Dexter's?

Steady on buddy! I own one of those and know the other 2 haha! welcome along anyways, any chance the G60 you tried was Dexter's?

Haha i didnt mean as in the harrogate area i ment as in price range! I dont suppose you own a black vr6 i was behind one the other day on the knaresborough bypass? Yeah it was dexters g60 i had ago in haha!

Yeah I told him not too get rid of it but apprently an old mini in a thousand pieces was much more appealing to him! I take you guys aren't out in them much? The only one I seem to see around is a red vr6 on some Japan racing wheels?

Mine is off the road whilst it gets turbo'd, russ's I think is planned to be back on the road in April possibly? Ive only seen one red vr6 around here and that was a while back, looked pretty much standard...