liam_raddo

Life after a Corrado or not...

It happens to most of us petrolheads at sometime ... Corrado in hibernation and thoughts wander of what next.

I never keep cars long (my bad) but looking / considering whether to get a low milage/timewarp VR6 or something different to move on from my Corrado. Thought I gauge opinions from yourselves who at some point had similar thoughts / experiences.

I would only be doing 2-3k a year so economy not too imp and would have a budget of around £6k, had a variety of cars Mk1,2,6 GolfGTI's , E46 M3 manual, 996, MX5's, MR2's.

Current thoughts outside Planet C are Z4, 130i, E30, S2000, 350z, 944, Cooper S.

Cheers

Liam

World is your oyster at that sort of price range :) It does really depend what you need from the car despite the limited mileage - do you need some kind of practicality? Do you have a family?

There's a 944 on the classifieds for sale and the guy wants a storm - maybe you could trade

The 944 looks stunning and is not far off the money your looking to spend

World is your oyster at that sort of price range :) It does really depend what you need from the car despite the limited mileage - do you need some kind of practicality? Do you have a family?

Fair point Jim should have said,

No I am lucky that we have family dailies so it would be my toy/hobby, I may want to do the odd school run but a 2 seater is sufficient (the C always get more positive reaction than my daily).

There's a 944 on the classifieds for sale and the guy wants a storm - maybe you could trade

The 944 looks stunning and is not far off the money your looking to spend

Yeah its a beaut that one but its the other side of the country (I know you need be prepared to travel).

If you like your Corrados then a 944 is a great bet. I've had three and they're cracking cars - and a lot of car for the money. I had an '83 'square-dash' model, which felt like a classic car, great handling (as they all do) and a turbine like sound to the engine when foots on the floor, but not the quickest.

Had an S2 which is a cracking car and great GT car, but it's so smooth I found it didn't get my pulse racing. Ended up with a Turbo, which was grin factor a plenty!! Any model is good though if you buy one that's well sorted and Steve's silver S2 on here does look a minter ;)

Hmmm that is a tough one Liam.

You have indeed had a good range of motor experience.

personally I think it would have to be something with a V8 to tempt me away from the rado's. something American maybe & muscle BUT it is bound to sacrifice the superb handling we get in the rado's

ever since the first time I sat in my valver I simply fell in love with the way the cabin & driving position seem to wrap around you like a warm scarf lol

im not sure if any of the options you list would fulfil in ways the C does - unless your after a little sideways action from rear wheel drive :D

I do like the E30 idea but for me the only option would be the E30 M3 - I often see a white one on my way to work & laugh as we are both always almost hanging out the window to look at each others motor. It is one of the few cars I really pine after but the prices are over double your budget

have you thought about what you could do with putting the £6k into your current C & if that would appease the 'whats next' thoughts?

I think I would assess all options, make a short list & then go & drive all of those on the list (if possible) so as you can make an informed decision. then I would drive your C again & ponder & reflect lol

Cheers for that V8 is a wildcard food for thought re the E30 I was thinking more a 318is (baby M3) always liked them. I can see me going full circle and going back to the C, I must admit I took it to the garage yesterday for a winter health check and those heated seats are a god send (even my povo spec MK6 Golf GTI doesn't have them).

Hmmm that is a tough one Liam.

You have indeed had a good range of motor experience.

personally I think it would have to be something with a V8 to tempt me away from the rado's. something American maybe & muscle BUT it is bound to sacrifice the superb handling we get in the rado's

ever since the first time I sat in my valver I simply fell in love with the way the cabin & driving position seem to wrap around you like a warm scarf lol

im not sure if any of the options you list would fulfil in ways the C does - unless your after a little sideways action from rear wheel drive :D

I do like the E30 idea but for me the only option would be the E30 M3 - I often see a white one on my way to work & laugh as we are both always almost hanging out the window to look at each others motor. It is one of the few cars I really pine after but the prices are over double your budget

have you thought about what you could do with putting the £6k into your current C & if that would appease the 'whats next' thoughts?

I think I would assess all options, make a short list & then go & drive all of those on the list (if possible) so as you can make an informed decision. then I would drive your C again & ponder & reflect lol

IMO £6K isn't enough to tempt me away from the Corrado.

You'll be able to find the cars listed in that price range but they're not going to be low mileage, keep them in your garage and pamper them versions. If it was me I'd be looking at exciting up the Corrado with some FI or looking for a project car for chips and work on that to build something yourself at the weekends. A little 2 seater number maybe or a classic car?

Obviously this is only my opinion and many may think otherwise but if I was going to sell the C these are the things I'd be thinking.... that or if my budget suddenly became enough to get something I'd consider special.

Good luck with whatever you decide though. :thumbleft:

If you love it you'll be back no matter what you buy.

Been there 7 times and decided to keep Corrado and buy another car along with it. Even if it means I can only use one car at the time I will keep the other in the garage.

I went from Corrado to a Porsche 911 964 and lotus elise 111s and still came back to Corrado ownership! Can't put my finger on it and on paper the Corrado is a lot worse than either of those cars. I still came back.

If you've not been out in a 350z then find one for a test drive. Awesome cars.

Took one out with the wife last year, put £10 petrol in as it was empty and went through the local town. On the other side is a slight downhill long straight road...

Yep, floored it in second and BAMM, the dealer place threw off the dashboard and hit the wife in the face, which started us laughing, then she was unable to put it back due to the force of acceleration.

I was out maybe 20-25 mins, used that £10 in petrol and broke 120mph 3 or 4 times, and it doesn't even feel like you are doing it. It's my next car :)

I went from Corrado to a Porsche 911 964 and lotus elise 111s and still came back to Corrado ownership! Can't put my finger on it and on paper the Corrado is a lot worse than either of those cars. I still came back.

Wow - you moved from a Corrado to a 911 964 and still came back. Praise indeed! I have a 997 Carrera 4S but still enjoy going out in the Corrado so can understand the attraction

It's always good to try other cars. Just be sure you don't mind having to buy a different Corrado if you do come back. In relative terms they are cheap so if you change now you should be able to come back.

I've tried the v8 thing and to be honest wasnt overwhelmed. A nice v6 is just as good IMO.

I'd go for the 944 out of that list. I nearly bought one last year and the S2 and turbo are great cars. But be aware that they are very expensive to maintain and service.

Well used to that having a C, just picked mine up today for a health check replace belts etc, sensors over £450,

My old 996 is comparable on maint costs if I add what I have spent this last 12 months.

I'd go for the 944 out of that list. I nearly bought one last year and the S2 and turbo are great cars. But be aware that they are very expensive to maintain and service.

I would also say keep the Corrado if at all possible.

You know the car and like many probably want to return if you sell it.

I was needing something different, so early in 2013 I bought a 350Z. As mentioned above, it is a brilliant car and quite an animal and good fun. I would certainly suggest taking one for a Test drive. I am not finding my 2005 plate too pricey to run either.

I did not sell my corrado having watched numerous folk over the years do this and then return. I just knew I would not want another Corrado but mine and was lucky enough to not need the money from it. Now I am so glad I did this.

Since the 350z purchase I am using both cars about equally. Just need a Winter runaround now !!! The Corrado is in for a re-spray early Feb.

Good Luck in your hunting and purchase.

I've been thinking about your next move, Liam. If you don't get another Corrado, for the money I think a 350z or a Boxster are the best options. I moved from a 944 turbo to a Corrado VR6, and didn't miss the 944. With the Boxster you get the engine noise. Buy an older one, as by now if the engine was going to blow up it would have done it by now. Probably.

It happens to most of us petrolheads at sometime ... Corrado in hibernation and thoughts wander of what next.

I never keep cars long (my bad) but looking / considering whether to get a low milage/timewarp VR6 or something different to move on from my Corrado. Thought I gauge opinions from yourselves who at some point had similar thoughts / experiences.

I would only be doing 2-3k a year so economy not too imp and would have a budget of around £6k, had a variety of cars Mk1,2,6 GolfGTI's , E46 M3 manual, 996, MX5's, MR2's.

Current thoughts outside Planet C are Z4, 130i, E30, S2000, 350z, 944, Cooper S.

Cheers

Liam

Just found this thread.

As some of you know I sold my very nice 944S2 to return to a Corrado VR6. Whilst the 944 is a great car & I liked it I didn't love it............ if that makes sense! However, I love my Corrado Storm.

I also have an MX5, which Liam mentions. A MK1 & they really are a joy. Just so 'right'. Not a quick car but they feel great, with the advantage of Jap reliability & drop top motoring. I also love the MX5!

I do miss my 944 Turbo, but not enough to give up the VR6. Given it's my daily, overall I prefer the C.

MK1 MX5 is a great little car, such a great chassis. Had some fun in one last summer!