Wayne2015

White VR6 in Windy Yorkshire! :)

Er

Got a scraping noise now when turning steering wheel :eek:

Sounds like steering wheel rubbing against steering column ???

I get that too, sometimes running a credit card around the small gap between wheel and column gets rid of it. I think its the horn contacts that make the noise.

Yeah just a bit of dirt trapped on the brass contact is all. Remove Stearing wheel, clean, a touch of silicon grease won't hurt, replace wheel.

:shocked!:

I NOT putting my hand in there!!! :eek:

I ll open bonnet and see if both fans turn is that ok???

Shudder.

Well just whole cabin vibrates and its obvious ...

Wait for the car to be cool, you'll have no worry of the fans activating then. Turn the fans and if there is any notchy or heavy resistance, get them changed.

If you don't want to touch them, use a bit of wood!

Wait for the car to be cool, you'll have no worry of the fans activating then. Turn the fans and if there is any notchy or heavy resistance, get them changed.

If you don't want to touch them, use a bit of wood!

ha ha wayne i dont think sean meant to try it with the engine/fans running lol

Yeah just a bit of dirt trapped on the brass contact is all. Remove Stearing wheel, clean, a touch of silicon grease won't hurt, replace wheel.

ditto above - 5 min fix if you have a large enough socket

Pull off horn cover, taking care not to pull too hard as its connected with a spade connector. Disconnect spade, undo bolt, pull off wheel. Simples!

Silicon grease can be got from any motor factors or DIY store mate.

Oh, and make sure the wheels are dead ahead and the steering wheel is centralised before removing. :thumbleft:

I've always struggled getting steering wheels off, corrado was the first car i've done where it just pulls off after nut is undone. I've been sat in cars rocking back and forth holding onto the wheel to try and get them off before :lol:

Copper grease too from motor factor?

Any brand?

Anything really small tube will last years, motor factors or halfords or ebay...

Think I was using carlube grease this morning.

Edit that's a lie it was comma.

Edited by delfinis38

Just spray the electrical contact cleaner you've got behind the steering wheel, before you go and start removing.

If you do take the steering wheel off just use any normal grease you have. You will only need a little amount, you could even use some Vaseline or a similar product you might have as lubricant.

Whats difference silicon grease and lithium grease for steering wheel / locks / battery terminals?

Silicon grease has a low melting point. Good for anti corrosion and lubrication. Lithium has a high melting point and used for rotating parts that will get hot through friction. Silicon is white and as above, a little like vasaline. Lithium is dark in colour and a bitch to get off interior fabrics!

The multi purpose grease you've just bought will be fine for the steering wheel.

Oh, and make sure the wheels are dead ahead and the steering wheel is centralised before removing. :thumbleft:

its helpful to put a bit of tape on the steering wheel & then on the trim cover behind it, in line with each other, as its easy to get the steering wheel back exactly where it was

24mm socket needed. :o

Sorry guys for late reply ...just returned from Manchester round trip...

No STALL :thumb right: :dance:

Thanks Goldfinger ref socket

Thanks Sean - was wondering what socket? Lol

Thanks Stuart: I bought grease now - but thanks again :D

Wayne, it's looking like a maybe free tomorrow if you want your upgraded loom fitting.

Pull off horn cover, taking care not to pull too hard as its connected with a spade connector. Disconnect spade, undo bolt, pull off wheel. Simples!

Silicon grease can be got from any motor factors or DIY store mate.

Thanks Sean again! :)

Anything really small tube will last years, motor factors or halfords or ebay...

Think I was using carlube grease this morning.

Edit that's a lie it was comma.

I think Comma s a good brand :)

So bought general grease £5 - probably use this on all my bits

But its LITHIUM BASED - its ok

Wanted the COMMA copper grease - bur at £8 a tub (dont think i use it much) - so bought £3 CARLUBE tube instead - CarLube ok?