Stonejag

The end

Been mentioned briefly on here before but my Corrado was refused an MOT due to extensive floorpan rot. A history of previous owners jacking it incorrectly plus the famed (ubiquitous) front wheelarch rust has led to water ingress rotting the chassis rails and sills - uneconomic to repair, and even if I did it was starting to get intermittent electrical issues that made me not want to throw any more money at it. So in the near future I'll be removing all the interior and some of the good bits and then selling the remains as a shell for breaking down further.

It's been an interesting car to own, plenty of quirks and I've learned a lot along the way. Might well come back to Corrado ownership in the future but hopefully I can restart the love affair with a sorted one that isn't such a lemon :lol:

I'll be around a bit longer while I dispose of the remainder of my spares and stuff that's still fitted, then moving on.

It's not all bad news though, I've just put down a deposit on a 3-door Mk4 R32 :D Makes it seem a little less painful to have something to look forward to! And it's still a VR6...kinda.

Anyway, wanted to say thanks to all the great folks I've met off here. Sure we will cross paths again...

Nick/Stone

All the best. Always a shame to hear about a Corrado getting scrapped and of course a member on here going their different ways but good luck with the new motor all the same! :)

Its a shame to hear, but understandable. Stick around, there are plenty of brains to be picked on here if you ever have R32 questions.

How are you selling the shell? Mine is in need of some cuts from a shell and your quite local to me, (compared to any others i've found)

The vultures have been circling already but so can see this post is only going to make things worse :lol: Let's follow the rules and wait for the advert in the breaking section...

Where it is parked at the moment is no ideal (off-road, gravel, rented but shared with other tenants) so it isn't really set up for doing a full dismantling job on it. If I can sell the engine and gearbox that'll make it easier but it ideally needs to stay as a rolling shell both to make getting it out of the space doable and also to not urine off my gf's landlord too much! Shame as I would have preferred to get the suspension and wheels off, but I don't have anything stock to put back on...

Best bet is probably to get the accessible stuff out and then sell everything at once to someone with the time and space to sell it gradually. I'd love to help people by cutting bits off the shell but it's not really going to go down too well with the neighbours if there's only half a shell sat about on bricks! The seats and door cards are gone already so I'll probably end up doing the seatbelts and trim on Vortex as a package deal and swapping back to an adjustable column, then most of the rest will go with the shell - glass etc.

I'm not sure "relaxed about it" would have been my description - possibly closer to heartbroken? But I've had a couple of weeks to think things through and I'll get back a decent chunk of what I poured into it so it won't be too bad. And the R32 will make it feel better, even if I have to go to Swansea on the coach for it...

Edited by Stonejag

So sad! You could always sell it as spares/repairs and the buyer could drive it home by booking it for an MOT where he/she stays..it would be legal(ish)...just saying! Could give it a new lease of life if someone is up for a weld job challenge!

Enjoy the R32, but I bet you hanker after the Rado again soon enough!

shame about the corrado but you have made a wise choice in the mk4 r32, awesome cars, love mine, natural progression from a corrado, looking forward to seeing what you've bought

I had a mk4 r32 nice car only lasted a few months in for some reason. Shame yours is dead though might want some bits lol vulture alert

Brake it on parts, keep rare parts and sell the rest, then buy another Corrado. Simplessss :)

just noticed what you've bought on the r32 forum, nice example, enjoy

great car to get, i wouldnt mind one myself!

A mk4? Love them long time :D

Here she is...

r32-first.jpg

Bit filthy from all the motorway miles (collected from Swansea!) but it's hammering down outside so I'll save that for now...

Other than an annoying intermittent hot-start problem (starter solenoid?) it's been fine. Still getting used to what gears work best for what and it's a bit weird to be back in a manual car after the last ten years but I'm loving it. Much better build quality than the Corrado too :lol:

Stone

Here she is...

r32-first.jpg

Bit filthy from all the motorway miles (collected from Swansea!) but it's hammering down outside so I'll save that for now...

Other than an annoying intermittent hot-start problem (starter solenoid?) it's been fine. Still getting used to what gears work best for what and it's a bit weird to be back in a manual car after the last ten years but I'm loving it. Much better build quality than the Corrado too :lol:

Stone

Nice :)

I had a Mk4 V5 - not in same leagues as yours, but I still believe the mk4 was the best looking Golf :)

What's this intermittent start fault?

Does it start then rev drops and stalls?

Nice :)

I had a Mk4 V5 - not in same leagues as yours, but I still believe the mk4 was the best looking Golf :)

What's this intermittent start fault?

Does it start then rev drops and stalls?

I wouldn't go that far saying the MK4 it's the best looking golf.

But R32 is defiantly the best looking MK4 golf, straight out of the box

I'm definitely not a fan of the Mk5 shape, it starts low and just keeps going up...I do love the Mk3 though, and you can't get a Mk3 R32 so I'm learning to love the Mk4 instead! :lol:

When it's playing up it just clicks when turning the key, but quickly turning it from off to on to start repeatedly will get it to go after 2-5 attempts. I was at the Stealth meet earlier and Vince reckoned it was a sticky starter solenoid, which would make sense as it does it more when hot and it doesn't even start cranking at all - especially since the battery tests out ok. Guess it's just sticking and not engaging until it's been activated a couple of times. Wasn't best pleased but at least I have a workaround for now until I can get it booked in...

They are really nice cars though, not regretting it...

Stone

I wouldn't go that far saying the MK4 it's the best looking golf.

But R32 is defiantly the best looking MK4 golf, straight out of the box

Change my mind now, whilst looking at the mk2 (before decided on the Corrado) - I think the Mk2 is best looking Golf ;)

I'm definitely not a fan of the Mk5 shape, it starts low and just keeps going up...I do love the Mk3 though, and you can't get a Mk3 R32 so I'm learning to love the Mk4 instead! :lol:

When it's playing up it just clicks when turning the key, but quickly turning it from off to on to start repeatedly will get it to go after 2-5 attempts. I was at the Stealth meet earlier and Vince reckoned it was a sticky starter solenoid, which would make sense as it does it more when hot and it doesn't even start cranking at all - especially since the battery tests out ok. Guess it's just sticking and not engaging until it's been activated a couple of times. Wasn't best pleased but at least I have a workaround for now until I can get it booked in...

They are really nice cars though, not regretting it...

Stone

Glad u know now.

As my other car had problems - a whack on the starter motor starts it each time! ;)

Don't ask me why, I was advised to do it just to make sure it is the starter motor sticking :) :) :)

New starter motor cured the R32 so now it's just a persistent emissions light that needs sorting. At least it always starts now!

Anyway, I pulled up the Corrado's carpet after stripping the interior and started finding some of the bad bits...

corrado-rust1.jpg

The're's a weak spot all the way around this end of the seat rail - including some big holes all the way through to fresh air! Glad I didn't crash it now, there's not much holding the seat rails on :(

Stone

New starter motor cured the R32 so now it's just a persistent emissions light that needs sorting. At least it always starts now!

Anyway, I pulled up the Corrado's carpet after stripping the interior and started finding some of the bad bits...

corrado-rust1.jpg

The're's a weak spot all the way around this end of the seat rail - including some big holes all the way through to fresh air! Glad I didn't crash it now, there's not much holding the seat rails on :(

Stone

:eek:

:shocked!: