sexybourbon

Spal fan wiring and constant full speed dash switch

I bought the plate cut and folded to shape 3mm aluminium from sheet metal works in Rotherham £45 then cut it with a jigsaw where needed. Hopefully I’ll see if it fits later fingers crossed it does.

I have built my fan unit tested it and fitted it, believe or not it actually went really well. Had to fettle the holes a bit for the after market rad but no dramas things went that fast and it was spitting I forgot to take more photos.

Edited by 1xshaunx1

I haven’t really got time at the moment Hasan to do anymore but if you or anyone else wants to get the plate made using the dimensions I used, happy to help, the photo is a quick sketch that I gave to the sheet metal works.

Looks very nice! for 2 x 11" fans? If the fit is ok, would you look to make any more? I'm sure there would be good demand for them. If needs be i can help with getting them made, if a drawing is available

Hi, I've got a CAD drawing of a 9" and 11" fan bracket if its of any help, it's untested as I bought a set off ChrisL instead but happy to send my drawing through

Not a bad idea. I can then get one if the guys in the office to modify it for 2 x 11" fans

Is it something of interest to people?

I cut 2 off 280mm holes in it and 7mm holes to suit which ever fan used for fixings, used 6mm stainless bolts for fixings, you don’t need anything special as there is plenty of room between the rad core and the bottom of the new cowling. I didn’t bother wiring the third stage in, as if stage 2 can’t cope you are out of options. I did wire a switch in so I can manually bring them both in when I want.

You didn't wire as in left the wire loose? If I were you I'd definitely have that connected up. Stage 3 uses a different sensor so if you have problems on the rad fan sensor it's a failsafe plus if it gets hotter than stage 2 then instead of carrying on and still trying to cool it, it will cut the fan and you won't have any cooling whatsoever

I know what you are saying but if it carries on rising I need to stop. The manual switch I’ve wired in is battery fed so I can turn it on anytime even when the ignition is off both fans are on if I want, I did it like this to keep it fairly simple utilising as much of the loom as I thought safe. On the brief testing I’ve had since installed it’s doing what it should so I should be good. Most cars only have two stage these days so I should be good. Also if temps get too hot you get a warning on the dash if you aren’t paying attention to temps but I’m temp crazy as the turbo keeps you coming on your toes.

Yea I'm the same with temps, I'm constantly checking what's going as I've had loads of temp problems over the years. I know what you mean about having the switch available, just personal preference I suppose. My old rado had an override switch on the dash and a couple of times I forgot about it and only realised when it was worryingly hot.