unclean

Correct VR6 fan controller

Hey there,

I'm experiencing an issue where my stage 2 fans seems to not kick in whilst the engine is running. As soon as I turn it off and it's between 90 and 100 degs, the fans kick in.

Anyway, I'm inclined the think it's the fan controller, so I've been looking for a replacement. I see the parts 357 919 506 and 1H0 919 506 both both (according to sellers) to be compatible. The car currently has the part 1H0 919 506, but the parts marked 357 919 506 seem to be cheaper.

Any difference between the two? Is one just intended for the Mk3 VR6, but the same?

Cheers, Phil

Fan controllers are tricksy, there are four listed for the Corrado and nobody ever seems to have the right one fitted! You must ensure that it has the right suffix letter as the connectors and functionality change between versions.

25 1H0919506

electric fan control unit / to be used for: / also use: / F >> 50-P-020 000

1H0 919 506 A N 017 125 2 / ABV,KR,9A,PG

(25) 3A0919506

electric fan control unit / to be used for: / also use: / F 50-R-000 001>>

357 919 506 A N 017 125 2 / ABV air condit.: 2E

(25) 357919506E

electronic control unit / electric fan / for models with radiator fan run-on / F 50-R-000 001>>

/ 9A,2E

(25) 3A0919506B

electric fan control unit / for models with towing facility / and/or / for vehicles with automatic / for vehicle use in warm climates / F 50-R-000 001>>

/ 9A,2E

So depends on whether you have an auto box or aircon, and early or late VR. Also worth checking if you have a chassis number within the range specified in this VOSA recall, you may be having early trouble with the bearing. Worth sorting out as mine has these symptoms before it eventually caught fire...

Stone

Really helpful stuff, thanks!

There is an awful racket from my slave fan, which is why I'm replacing the pair with SPALs. I wanted to make sure the controller was working correctly before I made the switch.

However, in the interest of not setting anything on fire, I might fit the other fans now with a manual override in case of controller oddities.

fla, I think I saw on another thread you had a similar problem. Did you find a solution in the end?

Ive got spals fitted but want to wire in some resistors to get some lower speeds. Mine just work at full speed or off.

Spal make a PWM controller that uses a stock temperature sensor, your best bet would be one of those (though they are a little pricey). Mine ran a little hot with a single-stage sensor and a single relay, it was on the big list but I never got around to sorting it...

Stone

Hey chaps, I've just acquired what I though was the right part, but it has an A suffix, i.e. 1H0 919 506 A

Any idea if this is correct for an early Corrado VR6 manual without A/C?