zak

VR6 Coolant pressurising and mixing with oil

Really strange. Do you have any pics of the block without the head? What do the cylinder bores look like, specifically no 4? And the haed around the same cylinder? Are you able to see inside any of the water galleries?

Possibly, but it will take time to investigate so I came up with an alternative solution. I've sourced a lower mileage engine 130k and plan to fit this instead. I figured in the time I take messing round with the current engine I could fit another that is known to run okay. I'm going to swap my clutch, flywheel, chains tensioners and ancillaries over to the replacement before fitting.

I've removed the front end in preparation and plan to pick up the replacement this week with a view to fitting it over the weekend. I'm trying to get it running as soon as possible as the car is being worked on in my driveway which is under a large oak tree. I'm having to wash the car every other day to keep the tree sap off!

I'll take a pic tomorrow eve but I don't think I'm going to spend the time investigating it. The bores looked fine and couldn't see anything abnormal withe the oil and water galleries

I picked up the engine, I had forgotten how heavy they are and manoeuvring without an engine crane was a little tricky. I had also forgotten how much effort, degreaser and old rags are needed to clean up the engine. I'm going to swap most bits from my old engine as they are so much cleaner.

i underestimated how long it would take to clean up the replacement engine and transfer all the bits from my old engine such as the water pump, cams, chain, clutch. Then there was the timing and sealing the timing chain covers. Then i had a clean of the engine bay. Almost there, I should be able to fire the car up in the next few evenings weather permitting.

great work, esp that you're doing it alone - after all that you should keep the car! Sorry i couldn't come over, haven't even had time to finish mine off

no probs, i don't have a fixed schedule of when i work on the car. I get an hour or so on the cae here and there. Im sure you know how it is :)

Missed this thread, funny old thing I had exactly the same problem happen to me on Thursday last week on my rado (20vT), coolant full of oil. Seems like I was luckier though as a new oil cooler fixed mine :)

Except in my case i had water in my oil not the other way round. Anyhow i got the replacement engine in and finally running yesterday evening, it was a bit tappety at first but has quietened down nicely. I'm in the process of repolishing my wheels so the car is still on axle stands. I should be able to take it for a drive on saturday. I plan to change the heater matrix on the weekend then get it in for an mot some time next week

Quick turnaround! 263s fitted as well? Let me get this flat spot sorted and then we can compare them...;)