Katy_m28

Which tyres

Hello all! I work away from home a lot and finally I'm getting some leave in May and have just ordered some Borbet A alloys for the 16v! I can't wait to get them on but am wondering which tyres everyone recommends. The specs of the alloys are below

16" Borbet A (Hexagonal Cap) - Silver with Polished Rim

2x (16 x 7.5" 4x100 ET20)

2x 16" Borbet A (Hexagonal Cap) - Silver with Polished Rim

(16 x 9.0" 4x100 ET15)

Probably 8" on the back and looking for a bit of stretch (not much)

What's the thoughts?

Any info greatly appreciated!

My C came like this when I bought her,

Lowered a little now,

And a little stretched (maybe an inch max?),

But on 17"

E26E3296-F7FC-42E2-97E0-C1F9715D76E3-822-000000B2D622811B_zpsjo34flbj.jpg

CAEA7232-D9EC-48B5-9041-925336137F2B-945-00000163D5C9BF3C_zpsggktqguy.jpg

83728E75-E37C-40EA-98E1-D7346D33A527-792-0000009BA6F69170_zpshrorgp90.jpg

If I was you I'd Google the hell out of it to see how much stretch you want on the 9's as a start.

For the 7.5's 205 will be fine and at a guess 215 for the 9's would work depending on your car..... How low it is/ arch work etc.

Plenty of guys on here have run 9 inch rims and a number of those have had same wheel.

Good choice by the way, borbet a suit the corrado no end! Good luck :)

For the 7.5j I would run a 195/40/16

And on the 9j a 215/35/16 would do the trick.

Not mega stretched but they amount of stretch and tyre profile should roughly be the same between fronts and rears.

Check out http://www.tyrestretch.com that should give you a better idea

what planet are you are on, that will run terrible

Decent input, what tyres would you suggest?

I've run the exact same tyre sizes on an old 16v with no problems with ride comfort whatsoever

Screenshot_2014-11-11-09-40-24-1.png

I'd trust Mr Lobitos with tyre decisions. He runs a tyre company and does very good rates for club members...

I'd agree with his earlier statement too...

I'd trust Mr Lobitos with tyre decisions. He runs a tyre company and does very good rates for club members...

I'd agree with his earlier statement too...

I just put my opinion pal, I had no comfort issues with the tyres I ran, and they were not overstretched either. Slowly being reminded why I gave up on this forum a few years ago.

So explain to me how it is not safe? I run a 195 40 16 on my 20v corrado which has 7.5j wheels all round. It gets driven hard on a regular basis and I've never had an issue with tyres being dangerous.

There are tyres with a hell of alot more stretch than that out there aswell. Those people are crazy and I'd never drive a car to those extremes. I didn't think my suggestion was massively incorrect, but maybe I am on a different planet.

The wider the tyre the more likely it is to aquaplane in rain soaked conditions

The lighter the load on a given axle the more likely it is to aquaplane in rain soaked conditions

The more worn the tyre the more likely it is to aquaplane in rain soaked conditions

So a quality make 195 section tyre with perfect tread of the front of a corrado will do a good job of clearing the water beneath it.

A wider 215 section tyre on the lighter rear on the same car with half worn tread will allow water to lift the tyre off the road leading to aquaplaning and a spin.

The 215/35/16 on a rear tyre is my concern, I can almost accept the 195 on a 7.5 but 215 with such a small sidewall stretched over a 9 just reads as dangerous to me. Maybe you got lucky over the years on your planet.

The sidewall of a tyre is designed to be as close to square as possible to take loads from the road and car correctly, put those sidewalls into a high degree angle and your asking for trouble. The tyre simply isn't designed to do that.

I've even had a 195 45 16 on a 9j which also got plenty of stick when driven up to 130mph (private road of course) Let that warp your mind a little more haha

Maybe I have just been lucky, I wouldn't have a stretched tyre on a track car or anything like that, but for day to day driving I don't see an issue. There has always been a debate on stretched tyres, and I have no doubt it will continue for years to come

personally, I'd run 205/45 on the front, 215/40 on the rear

my C came with borbets and had this tyre configuration, felt fine, nice look on the back but that size on the front is too big, looked awful and made the steering heavy. I have just swapped to a 195/40 on the front. Matches the stretch on the back perfectly and is perfectly comfortable.

I used to run 195/45 on a 8" all round with no issues, what i have now is less stretch.