agb1980

Andy's Mystic Storm

Right, been lurking around here for a couple of years - it's time to get a thread going for my car! Its now got 135000 on the clock and is starting to look a bit tired. Andy at yesterdays cars helped me out with a detailed appraisal, overall its in good nick just needs a bit of TLC. Plan is to straighten out a a couple of mechanical issues then get the bodywork tidied up later in the year. Will get some pics up tomoz!

First job tonight was starting on removing the bonnet foam to replace with the group buy stuff, while i was poking about a found this flat cable under the scuttle tray by the ecu - 1 end isn't connected, anyone have any ideas:scratch: Is it an earth? Looking at the corrosion on the end i think its been like this for a while..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81387[/ATTACH]

That is the bonnet earth cable Andy, they often corrode and break off! Might still be available from VW, the Part Nr is 533971537.

Ian.

Thanks Ian! Will check tomoz - does this connect to the nut on the bonnet hinge under scuttle tray?

From memory yes it does.

Ian.

I wouldn't bother replacing it with the genuine VW cable - I swapped it on one of my Corrado's a few years back, and it snapped in exactly the same way no more than 18 months later. Flawed design!

They're about £25 from VW too! I bought a braided earth cable from eBay to almost the exact dimensions for about £6 delivered. I had to drill out the mount points slightly, then just covered it in heatshrink, and it looks perfect. :thumbleft:

They're about £25 from VW too! I bought a braided earth cable from eBay to almost the exact dimensions for about £6 delivered. I had to drill out the mount points slightly, then just covered it in heatshrink, and it looks perfect. :thumbleft:

Really, I had a figure of about £10.00 when I last bought one?

Ian.

Great thanks! This sounds like the route i should go down then - did u take a pic when u did it? Would be great if i can see - i'm a bit of a nooob when it comes to the spanners

Ooops looks like I missed something Andy! ;)

The last one I bought was about £14 from VW. I've heard a lot of people say that this earth strap doesn't serve any purpose. I've replaced it on two Golfs now - more for originality sake but on both occasions nothing worked better after replacing it.

Nice to know I wasn't the only one who didn't know what that was for. Noticed a couple of weeks ago that mine was corroded and detached! :)

What was its purpose then?

Supposedly stop radio interference and help a few other items along the way too. I think I've heard VW fitted at as a bit of a safety net for some reason - it's on MK1 Golf convertibles and MK2 Golfs too. I've never noticed a difference when they're broken as opposed to being fixed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82026[/ATTACH]

Just saw this on the original sales brochure for my car. I can just imagine the first owner in the showroom working out how he was gonna tell his missus!