Thursdave

Door speakers and one rear speaker not working

Hi folks, just got a tape adaptor for my C and noticed that both the door speakers and my offside rear speaker doesn't work - both dash tweeters and the passengers rear do, but obviously this leaves the sound quality lacking!

Any ideas where to start trouble shooting?

On the Corrado, the audio signal goes from the head unit to the dash tweeters first and from there down to the front doors. Take the dash tweeters out and have a look. There should be four wires on the back of each tweeter ....... two in and two out, down to the door. If they are all there and conected, check the back of speakers in the doors. If the wires are present and attached there might be a break in the wire from the tweeter or you may have a duff speaker. The wires to the rear speakers run directly from the head unit to the speaker so, if they are there and attched then a broken wire or duff speaker could be the problem. The tweeters are below the grills at either end of the dash. To remove the grills, simply lever them out with a fine bladed screwdriver.

Edited by leon263

I recently replaced 2 speakers as they simply stopped working or at best were intermittent, don't think the original speakers are very good!

The dash speakers are definitely wired in properly, i remember plugging two plugs in when putting the dashboard in.

I'll take a look at the door speakers this afternoon once I've serviced the car, are they easy enough to remove?

Not easy I'm afraid. You can only get access to the back of the speakers by removing the door cards, they are mounted into the speaker pods from the rear.

Typical. How bad is it to take the door cards off? I've spied a screw on the edge where the latch is, I'm presuming theres more holding it on than that?

You have found the screw on the back edge of the door card, there is also one on the front edge. Remove them and the plastic locking pin on the top edge of the door card. Remove the surround from the internal handle, it slides towards the rear and you may need to apply pressure using a screw driver as a lever using the door pull as a fulcrum. Remove the cover from the internal handle (you'll find a slot at the bottom edge for a flat blade screw driver .... insert and twist) Remove the two big screws that hold the handle on and remove it. You will find another screw behind it ...... remove it too. Remove the speaker grill, get down on you knees and search for the screw which is towards the front of the doorcard but hidden from view. It's between the front edge of the actual speaker and the front edge of the doorcard but if the door card has been off before it may well be missing. Remove the small lastic triangle from the front corner of the window, it just pulls off. After all that is simple, just lift the complete doorcard up and away from the door.

The photos below may help.

P5090009.jpg

P5090008.jpg

Edited by leon263

Mine hasn't got that fancy leather interior, but those pics definitely helped.

Multimeter was showing signal to the door speakers, so looks as though they're just dead. Not surprising, considering they appear to be the original ones! (VW stamped on the back of them).

What size are the door speakers?

Picked up a pair of pioneers from Amazon, and I've got sound! I'll look at sorting the rears out once im back from the nurburgring, but i think they may just want fiddling with, fairly certain its a bad earth.

For reference, the door speakers are 5.25" :)