George Lee

headlight problems

My headlights wont work, side lights work, fogs work and full beam works but main beams doesnt. Ive tried a different switch but still the same problem. Ive noticed someone has put a aftermarket headlight loom in and it has 3 relays next to the battery. is this something i can just unplug or is it worth trying new relays, and help but be appreciated

Have you checked all the connections on the loom ? also the fuses ?. Im no auto electrician but i doubt one of the relays has gone .

I have checked the fused inside the car, I'm sure full beam runs of the same as main so I don't think its the fuses, there's no fuses on the wiring loom itself as far as I'm aware. Me and electrics don't go 😂

are you sure theres no fuse on headlight loom? it will come off the battery + , follow that wire, i recently seen a post in regards to water proofing relays as some may get corrosion damage if there not water tight, so i wouldn't rule them out, you need to test with multimeter

I will have a look as it has a upgraded wiring loom in it. The relays were covered up but what was covering them was damp so it cound be corrosion and probably cound probably do with testing

Any competent motor factors/maplins should have them, take one of the old ones in so they can match it exactly!

Ian.

My headlights wont work, side lights work, fogs work and full beam works but main beams doesnt. Ive tried a different switch but still the same problem. Ive noticed someone has put a aftermarket headlight loom in and it has 3 relays next to the battery. is this something i can just unplug or is it worth trying new relays, and help but be appreciated

hi m8

if your upgraded loom has 3 relays in it then it could be one made by KUR2Y who used to be on here. i say that as many of the uprated looms on offer only have 2 relays.

KUR2Y used to use 3 so that if one of the relays failed it would not result in a total loss of lights, which i believe happens in a 2 relay version if one fails

a few months ago i had an issue where my dipped beam would not work but main beam would, i changed all 3 relays (as i wasnt entirely sure which relay facilitated which light path, ie dipped or main beam) & the issue was fixed

i got the relays from bromsgrove motor factor for a few £'s each. i drove there in the day & took one of the relays in for them to match. i can try & find the part number if you would like

i would not recommend removing the uprated loom, unless it is faulty itself, as they really make a difference to the light out put

One of my relay's failed stopping high beam. Checked this was the fault by simply swapping the low beam relay over and it worked. I now drive with 2 spare relays in my glove box.

Managed to get down to maplins but only haf two in stock. I tried just changing two but no look, going to get a third one to see if that works

I also had this problem. Swapping the relays fixed it. Cost less than a tenner for 2 sets of 2. I always carry spares now.

I think the positioning of these is important. Don't let them get wet. I tucked them inside the battery jacket now.