borarob

Valver Project, back from the body shop!!

starting this for my own benefit really, but comments always welcome.

I've had this rado for about 3ish years, though due to a circumstance change it was taken off just over a year ago as I needed a bigger car, I bought myself my first ever non-VW, though didnt stray too far with an Audi A4!

20150510_195027.jpg

This is how I bought it:

null-3.jpg

The bodywork was (is) tatty, the bonnet wouldn't open, the central locking didnt work, the electric windows didn't work and nor did the electric mirrors. On the plus side it did have working spoiler and sunroof!

bonnet fixed by dismantling an old brake and cable from a push bike, works brilliantly and much cheaper than the other options available:

null.jpg

The light blue interior and boot carpet was also essentially brown, so got the rug doctor and went to work:

null-12.jpg

null-13.jpg

null-14.jpg

Obligatory boot build:

null-24.jpg

along with comps up front, used the standard tweeter positions:

null_zpsff42e435.jpg

null_zps2737c44a.jpg

I also refurbed some BBS RX2, 16" 4 stud from the mk3.5 golf cabby I had, ended up selling these when i took the rado of the road

null_zps525a42b8.jpg

So last month the time came to come back to it after a year off, and this time I'm 'going for it'. Its now MOT's and back on the road. Had been covered but i did fear the worst when I uncovered it, but it wasnt too bad, just dust and full of cob webs and leaves. Also found a False Widow in the door shut!

20150510_110805.jpg

All cleaned and standard grille setup

20150510_182405.jpg

So far has had:

new ISV

new Handbrake cables

new accelerator cable

new bearing all four corners

new brakes and pads all round

new front ABS sensors

new battery

Edited by borarob

The plan is to get this up to a decent standard, other than the mechanical work i've this week fitted this

20150513_110542.jpg

also new door strikers. The standard 90mm splitter was buggered so I got a brand new 50mm item from VW heritage as my plan is to go low.

20150512_181127.jpg

The wheels were in a terrible state, lots of rash and one of them very bent, plus they were a very nasty dirty flat grey colour. Last week all refurbed and the balloon tyres that were fitted were replaced by 195/40/16

20150519_170724.jpg

20150519_170740.jpg

much better!

Next month its going to Shaun Harvey at CCW for 3 weeks worth of fettling, all panels straightened, rust sorted and respray in fresh aqua blue. Can't wait!

Only 2 weeks until the respray! Gonna start stripping it down a bit. Mainly inside as I want to fit new black carpet after the respray.

Started to strip the insulation from under the bonnet as it was a mess and have new stuff to go on. Anyone recommend a product to get rid of the sticky stuff?

On the purchase list this week is new sun roof seal and some cheap coils. Thinking if going bagged next year so not gonna waste money on expensive set up now.

Any other bits worth replacing for post respray?

Annoyingly I've started to get 2nd gear crunch unless the car is very cold or I go very gently. Would redline mt90 be worth trying to improve things?

Cheers all

only a small update but progress nonetheless, old gear gaiter knackered, though these were leather but clearly not!

20150604_182122.jpg

new one fitted and this time actual cow!

20150604_182235.jpg

black carpet cleaned this weekend, got the old rug doctor on the case, came out well

20150607_153720.jpg

three bucket fulls of this came out of it!

20150607_152547.jpg

This week mostly prepping ready for the bodyshop on monday, this includes fitting coilovers and new top mounts front and rear so we can get the height right so arches can be pulled to accomodate the wheels and my desired lows.

This weekend I took the old and very rusty springs and dampers of her and fitted with some nice new coilovers. Nothing fancy as I want to put it on bags next year. Ride is surprisingly good. Also replace the mounts front and rear while we there.

manky:

20150610_201019.jpg

20150610_200533.jpg

shiney:

20150610_201222.jpg

Also drained the gearbox oil and refilled with redline mt90.

Dropped it to the bodyshop today, will be there for the next 3 weeks so will post updates when I have them!

side strips back on or leave off? loved them on my previous C, which was red, broke up the light colour. I'm thinking on this darker colour that maybe they don't have as much of a visual effect?

Its only been gone since monday morning but I really miss her :-(

well strips are coming off anyway for the resto so I think I'll just make sure they are taken off with care so that they aren't too bent to maybe put back on at a later date.

Other things to consider colour coding wise.... door handles? rear number plate plinth? The black part of the wing mirrors? out of all those complete colour coding of the mirrors is most appealing. Anyone done this? have any pictures?

In my opinion if you paint the black plastics metallic black it breaks the colour up but gives a better shine and doesn't fade or require greasy shine products that get all over paint work plus no need to be so carful when waxing. I hate it when you get white smears on textured plastic and a nightmare to get off.

In my opinion if you paint the black plastics metallic black it breaks the colour up but gives a better shine and doesn't fade or require greasy shine products that get all over paint work plus no need to be so carful when waxing. I hate it when you get white smears on textured plastic and a nightmare to get off.

ah i like your thinking! will have to discuss that with CCW. THe mirrors bits and rear plinth would look awesome gloss black...

Now for the long wait. How long do they recon it will take? Any decisions on black plastics?

I'm going in tomorrow morning to have a look and talk about the mirrors being completely colour coded and rear plinth and handles being gloss black. Def going to leave the side strips off.

Was going to see about de-wipering the back by properly welding up and smoothing the hole but I'm now leaning towards the old rubber grommet trick just in case I ever want to put the wiper back on!

Peed off with VW Classic Parts, thought i was in luck with getting new outside window scrapers, got one side from heritage and the other from DE as unlike heritage it was showing as in stock. Anyway after days waiting for it to arrive I check my email and find a german email explaining they didn't have stock after all!

Haha Shaun painted my car too!

Yeah he said he'd recently done another one. I trust you were happy?

I think if your gonna take out the rear wiper you've gotta fill the hole as the rubber will look like an after thought much better to get it right now than decide you should have done it when you had the chance.

I think if your gonna take out the rear wiper you've gotta fill the hole as the rubber will look like an after thought much better to get it right now than decide you should have done it when you had the chance.

I know you're right, gonna go in to see him today.

As far as I'm concerned shaun is Mr vw, I used to live opposite him when I was a kid, and his many projects were the reason I fell in love with dubs.

Went to see progress today, not as much done as he'd hoped as some little jobs needed clearing last week. Over the next couple / three weeks it will pretty much be sole focus so should come on well. Found a few holes that needed welding up, some pretty major rot around bottom of passenger wing and inner arch and sill. I'm going for gloss black rear plate holder and completely colour coded mirrors. Have new gloss black rear vw badge to go on so to continue the theme going for gloss black corrado script rather than colour coded. So now I'm thinking front grille gloss black as well?

Also I've decided only to reapply stoneguard stuff to the very bottom of the sills and have the rest smooth.

20150623_113501.jpg

20150623_113357.jpg

new metal for indicator needed

20150623_114615.jpg

20150623_113643.jpg

20150623_113632.jpg

Took the ashtray out while I was there so I could start the A4 cup holder mod