GreenRado

'93 VR6 won't start at all

A few weeks back I stopped in a car park to adjust my headlights and afterwards she wouldn't start. First turn would give all electrics etc and relevant lights on the dash, but not a sound on full ignition turn. Luckily my friend was out with me and we managed to jump start her. She soon after died off and we had to bump start it a few times to get the car back home.

Fast forward and the Alternator has been replaced and uprated (from 70A to 120A), new battery, grounds and terminals all cleaned and also a new starter. Voltage is strong from battery and voltage can be read great at the starter terminal. (12.6V+) I also replaced the ignition switch with the last 1k miles and it is rock solid in there. Not sure if its relevant, but crank sensor is also new.

She will not start whatsoever. The fuel pump primes and all electrics work, but upon full turn of the key nothing happens. Jumping won't start her.

There are no fault codes whatsoever on VAGCOM.

Please someone give me some hope! I don't know what else I can try.

If it turns - are you sure it get's fuel ?.

Although I think the problem mostly relates to "warm start" problems, and it will eventually start, but takes some cranking it also could be the non-return valve in the fuel pump is failing, easiest/chapest fisks is eventually to get a in-line non return valve and put in line with the pump - using the original hose + some fuel hose.

Also the crank position sensor failing would cause no fuel - but IIRC should come up in VAG-COM

Could be the ignition switch, try wiggling the key in the lock or you can bypass it easily enough to rule it in or out. It's a common failure and can be checked for free

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?3167-Emergency-Ignition-Switch-Bypass&highlight=ignition%20switch%20bypass

Ignition switch is new like I said, tried wiggling it many times to no avail. I think I'll have to try the bypass to completely rule it out though, thanks!

so the engines not even turning over?

No the starter doesn't make so much as a sound.

If it turns - are you sure it get's fuel ?.

Although I think the problem mostly relates to "warm start" problems, and it will eventually start, but takes some cranking it also could be the non-return valve in the fuel pump is failing, easiest/chapest fisks is eventually to get a in-line non return valve and put in line with the pump - using the original hose + some fuel hose.

Also the crank position sensor failing would cause no fuel - but IIRC should come up in VAG-COM

It's not even turning over. Starter motor won't do a thing.

When you turn to the start position, does it sound like things turn off? Sounds like an immobiliser issue if the starter wont turn at all.

When you turn to the start position, does it sound like things turn off? Sounds like an immobiliser issue if the starter wont turn at all.

Can't say that happens really. Dash lights stay the same and nothing whatsoever happens. I have been thinking its to to with the immobilizer, but a lot of people have said it would show a fault code and that the immobilizer only shuts the engine off after a couple of seconds? Or are neither of those things necessarily going to happen?

if you have a factory immo thats in the ecu then yea it would log a fault code and it would start/run for about 1-2 seconds and then cut out, but if you have an after market immo/alarm setup then it wouldnt log an immo fault as that wouldnt be integrated with the ecu and i wouldnt of thought it would run or start at all like a factory immo failed start does

Well after checking ignition switch again I noticed the fusebox was sitting a bit far down. It looks like its broken off the bracket that holds it in place. Anyway I propped it back into where it looks like it should sit and now the car makes a sound!

The problem now is that it just seems to kick in the starter motor, but the starter motor (new) doesn't seem to be engaging to the fly wheel?

Here's a video as I'm not entirely sure what I'm hearing:

[video=youtube;Li06h-T0kA0]

Edited by GreenRado

did you fit the starter? and do you have the old one? im guessing you only replaced it due to the problem you have had? put your old starter back in and see whats up then,

starter sounds like its not engaging. You didnt by any chance get an auto starter? They have a shorter clutch and might/might not engage with the flywheel.

On the fusebox, turn it around (its quite a tight fit) and see if the two large red connectors are fully home and if the heavy gauge red wires in these connectors are not loose.

On the side there is an arm than needs to be pushed in to lock the connectors in place, See if it is sticking out - which could mean a lot more connectors MAY be loose!

I don't think you're a million miles off now.

Turns out the spindle with the teeth on the new starter wasn't long enough. Cleaned up and greased up the old one and put that in its place and hey presto!

Looks like my real issue is the fuse box connections at the rear or something. Cheers for the tip

, I'll have a look what's going on and get the Fuse Box securely re-seated.

In any case, most of what I didn't need to change out were original parts, so a lot more piece of mind either way! :thumbleft:

One connector at the back wasn't sitting tight. Pushed it in and got the Fuse Box back in the right position and all is right with her again!

Thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated.

It might be useful to remove the loose connector (again!), check for any arcing and perhaps some pitting of either the connector spades or the panel spades. Give them a clean to remove any oxidation, and refit.

• Like 1