Sign in to follow this  
Blue_Joe

Blue Joe's G60 - FIRST DRIVE!!

yeah, either that or wrap the cloth tape over the top of the self-amalgamating tape... It's only to stop the S/A tape from sticking to everything else as well as itself, it works very well in keeping the loom safe and sound other than that though... 8)

It's sounding like it's all going well though, no major hassles? 8)

remember the craze that was extreme ironing?

are we starting are own, extreme engine conversions craze.....where next from car parks??!?!?!?

hope everything goes well and is running schweet for the RR day at Stealth!

Andrew

Well I'm Gutted........

Got everything back in and finally all back in place ready to start the engine properly for the first time. We checked and triple checked everything!!!!

Started the car and it seemed to start fine. Massive Joy!!!!!!

Checked the Oil Pressure gauge - Perfect!

Checked the air/fuel - Perfect!

30 seconds later we heard a horrible grinding noise and the engine stopped!!!!!

OH SHIT!

It seems the Cam has seized. Not sure of any extent of damage as yet, but the bottom end is turning over freely and we dont think any valves are bent. It has stripped the bottom part of the timing belt so that the crank will spin but the cam is seized tight.

When the guys doing the engine were putting the head back together and the cam back in he snapped a bearing cap so he grinded another out to fit. But it seems he may have botched it as we think that may be what has done it.

Fingers crossed no major damage. Might need to get the cam polished if any marks in it and just hoping no bent valves or other damage!!!! I'm not touching it until after christmas weeked. Spent alot of time on it of late and just want a rest from it and all the grief it's been giving me with one problem or another!!!!

No the bottom end turns freely as teh teeth on the timing belt are stripped off. When you turn the engine over you can here the bottom end turning over yet the belt is stuck fast.

Supercharged Just don't have the time or inclination to do any more on it until after christmas. All said I don't want to know at the moment!!! I've got alot to do at work before I break up due to a few VERY LARGE contracts looming so need to focus on them and not the car, especially as if it is anything major I need these contracts to pay for it!"!!!!!!

You seem to be more calm about it than I would be in your shoes Sam...

Hoping for a quick, cheap and easy fix for you.

I've had a bit of time to think and calm down! And with everything else that keeps going wrong I've almost come to expect it!

But I did stay remarkable calm through the first reaction of thinking the bottom end had detonated!

What a shocker Sam. I'm sorry to hear this. I hope, as others have said, that its the cheap fix option is all that needs doing and not something worse.

My fingers are crossed for ya!

Hope you get it working soon. Looks like a new g60 engine. Have you done any work to the bottom end? forged crank,bearing etc?

Looks like a new g60 engine. Have you done any work to the bottom end? forged crank,bearing etc?

I've just had it "breathed on a little"

2021cc - Retaining oil squirters using 83mm Custom made Karl Schmidt Pistons

9a Crank flat planed, lightened and balanced And the list goes on and on!

OMG ... were the pistons that have been used dished ? I think you will unfortunatly of done some damage to the valves/pistons as this conversion make it now an interferance engine unfortunatly

If the cap was changed before you recieved the engine back surley your not to blame though.

Bummer :-( Was looking forward to a post from you saying "holy cow it's fast"!

Sounds like one or more bearing caps have friction welded itself/themselves to the cam, probably the botched one. Can't think of anything else that could strip teeth off a belt like that!

Hope you sort it.....

Well - Found out the extent of the damage!

Where bearing cap number 2 broke when Andi at GP Speed Equipment was putting it back on, he replaced it with one off another head and ground it out so that it would be ok (so he said!) Well it wasn't......................

It has seized on number 2 bearing cap, in doing so it has deeply scored the bearing cap, my BRAND NEW Schrick Cam, and deeply scored the head! So all of them are SCRAP!!!! Plus on taking out the tappets, they told me the tappets were fine to reuse after I asked them if they were replacing them! We could actually squash them with our fingers. And the Valves appear to be knackered also.

We do think that the pistons will be fine as they have deep dishes in the piston so we hope they havent kissed.

So tomorrow I will be assembling a bill for all new parts and labour to be done elsewhere for them to pay and see how they react!!!!!!!