robrado974

Fuel cap drain hole ?

Morning everyone .

I've noticed when I wash the car or when we've had rain the water builds up inside the filler cap . I can see a hole there , can I push some wire down there to clean it out ? . I presume it's a drain hole ? . I keep meaning to look into this . I've just seen easy pops thread and I don't want to end up with a rusty rear quarter .

Regards

Rob

It's only about 10cm long mate, easy enough to clean out with a small bit of wire/thin stick etc. I think the rot occurs due to a build up of wet dirt gathering around the filler neck area, the one I'm trying to recover had half a muddy field up there :)

Thanks Easy , would it be better to remove the rubber flap completely ? Just so I can see what's going on behind there .

Possibly mate, its easy to get out, although I've yet to try to refit one?

Unscrew lid, stuff cloth in the hole to stop any muck getting in, remove the circular metal retaining clip thing and the rubber boot just pulls out, just work it about a bit as it'll be a bit stiff at first

Even I managed to remove and replace the rubber boot. Once it is out replace the fuel cap and blast a hose up into the area to remove all the mud that has accumulated. This should help prevent corrosion in a known Corrado weak spot.

Many thanks chaps , I had forgotten that when the car was painted , they coated the aches in underseal , it was cleaned out at the time , So it was only 4 years worth of dusty mud really . All cleaned out and another worry off my mind .