Sign in to follow this  
Nick_Micouris

larger alternator - is it possible to fit?

My mate has just had to change the alternator on his MK2 Golf driver and popped down the scrappies! They sold him a MK3 Golf 90Amp alternator, whereas his original was only 65Amps. Is this a problem or in fact a better thing all in all?

no, it won't overcharge. it'll just provide up to 150a of charge when it's needed. for instance, if you're running a large stereo system of a lot of electrics. handy if you have a second battery too.

I remember with my old mk2, when it had the 65a on it, if I drove around at night with the stereo on loud (hey, I was young :oops: ) then the car wouldn't start in the morning as the alternator wasn't supplying enough juice to top up the battery.

shouldn't do anything to it... the battery will only TAKE the number of amps it requires... 8)

The alternator will still be providing the 12 to 14V it should be, the only benefit from a larger alternator is that you can run more things off it without risking voltage drops, flattening the battery by not charging it properly or overheating the alternator... 8)

150A is a little bit of overkill though isn't it Phat? :? are you running kettles and fan heaters in there as well as your VR engine?!? ;) :lol:

well, I couldn't find a 120a one. and it was only £40 so I had to have it.

I do have a 240 volt power invertor though, so I could theoretically run a kettle or 2!

Assuming the fuse board didn't stop you first!

I've heard a few people say they have VRs with 75A alternators (kev?), but ETKA lists the VR's as being a 90A part.

Air-con equipped cars may have 120A ones.

Assuming the fuse board didn't stop you first!

I've heard a few people say they have VRs with 75A alternators (kev?), but ETKA lists the VR's as being a 90A part.

Air-con equipped cars may have 120A ones.

My highline engine has the 120amp one and had air con. The UK Corrado Vr's only had air as a dealer fit option so 90amps all the way.

early vr's wre 75, later one 90. highlines and higer specced cars with mor electrics got 120. trnasporter.sharan/galaxy ghia got 150

the power invertor runs stright off the battery, not the fuseboard.

should be handy for running my laptop, in car tv and playstation 2. and my kettles. might put a fridge in there too.

Right, that's fine of course. Most power convertors I've seen run from the ciggie lighter, which is of course subject to the vagueries of the car's wiring loom and the fuse associated in the fuse board...

Would also be handy if you suddenly need to do some ironing..! :)

LOL with phat's car extreme ironing @ 150mph ....

shame he hasent got a saxo spoiler coz that would be easier than the corrado spoiler LOL :lol: #

pic thumbnailed-vr6storm