delfinis38

Period stereo.

Just taken the alpine out and gone back to the vintage Sony CD player... Hum problems. Stereo works direct from battery. But wired in it sometimes works with the ignition on and sometimes doesn't. No explaination.... Immobiliser possibly... . It also doesn't hold a station memory... Wondering if I have a later loom so may need to swap the red and yellow wire over.... Thoughts

Off to find wiring diagram...

worth trying swapping the permanent & switchable live over

normally when a stereo loses settings after being turned off it is due to such

however, unsure why it would sometimes not turn on with ignition & sometimes not

You need red to yellow and yellow to red on VWs of this age - losing memory means permanent live is being switched off when removing the keys.

You need red to yellow and yellow to red on VWs of this age - losing memory means permanent live is being switched off when removing the keys.

Ta... Just put volt metre across perm live and got 12v. Nothing out of switched live with ignition on...

Any ideas... Fuse box ?

Guess it not right answer but is it safe to put red and yellow together on perm live feed.

Edited by delfinis38

Ta... Just put volt metre across perm live and got 12v. Nothing out of switched live with ignition on...

Any ideas... Fuse box ?

Guess it not right answer but is it safe to put red and yellow together on perm live feed.

that is an odd one - you obviously have a working switchable live somewhere else you would be getting ignition problems

I would check fuses but also try & trace the switchable live to see if it has a break in it somewhere

I believe it is ok to put both feeds together but the disadvantage of doing so would be that your stereo will be permanently on & as such could be a drain on the battery

I've done that before and some kits come with connections to allow the red and yellow to join

Bad idea... Stays on all the time as suggested... Guess it's time to get car out of garage to look at fuse box. Can only open passenger door in garage. Wonder if it's something to do with putting inline fuse in headlight switch years ago.

Going to double check mine now as not sure what i did and was suffering from battery drain but assumed it was my dashcam. What about the cig lighter do you have switched live power there?

would the switchable live not feed from the ignition switch?

thus giving you a starting point as if the cars starts then the source has the correct feed & it is failing somewhere along the line

Going to double check mine now as not sure what i did and was suffering from battery drain but assumed it was my dashcam. What about the cig lighter do you have switched live power there?

Cig lighter has switched live they also doesn't work. Fuse box after lunch me think. Mm mm scotch eggs with runny yoke... Thanks for the input so so far lads...

Cig lighter has switched live they also doesn't work. Fuse box after lunch me think. Mm mm scotch eggs with runny yoke... Thanks for the input so so far lads...

switchable is definitely the first place to look then

just in case you haven't one to hand, rado fuse box diagram...

http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/showthread.php?4690182-94-SLC-fusebox-diagram

Oh & scotch eggs with runny yolk!? Pls divulge on such treats?

switchable is definitely the first place to look then

just in case you haven't one to hand, rado fuse box diagram...

http://forums.kilometermagazine.com/showthread.php?4690182-94-SLC-fusebox-diagram

Oh & scotch eggs with runny yolk!? Pls divulge on such treats?

cheers.. checked every fuse and all okay, even checked fuse on headlight switch.... bit puzzled at finding the start of the switched live feed...

bit puzzled that it sometimes works too.... immobiliser problem maybe ??

Sounds like maybe an ignition switch fault ?

Thanks harrier

New ignition switch then, maybe worth a punt if they are cheap... Anyone got a part number approx price. Cheers. Ran out of time this afternoon to do any more investigation.

VW ignigtion part or what equivalent for a late VR.

Every thing in the car works apart from switched live to radio and cig lighter.

Edit....

Anyone know if this is correct for a VR

http://wiki.the-corrado.net/ignition_switch_replacement.html

Edited by delfinis38

I had the same issue when I got my C, the switched live wasn't working. The problem was there was part in the ignition switch that wasn't attached. I replaced the ignition switch and all was well again.

IgnitionSwitchTeardown_zpse83cad8d.jpg