VWVW

Mk5 VW Golf GT 2.0TDI DPF

Mk5 VW Golf GT TDI

Thinking of getting one of these. Has anyone got one or can advice if they are any good. Anything to be aware of...Thanks

Edited by VWVW

Yeah.. the DPF :-)

I think you can bypass them now but they're ok as long as you do the miles...

Other than that the 2.0 engine is good although maybe not quite as reliable as the older 1.9's - just make sure you get a good one with history etc.

MK5 parts are generally cheap, especially consumable / wear parts from TPS.

Obviously there is the issue with the front wings rusting and some early cars will now be almost out of the 12 year warranty period so buy a late one and keep an eye on them.

I've got a 2008 mk5 gt tdi sport. It's the 140bhp and it's fantastic. The mpg is amazing, we've had it 3 years and done 50k miles in it. It's just coming to 98k miles and it's only needed discs and pads and a rear spring.

The front wings started to corrode so about a month ago I took it to VW, he checked the paint thickness to make sure it hadn't had work before, it hadn't so I've just had 2 new wings fitted and painted free of charge!!

I would go for the 140 so no dpf then get a remap to 170 for £250.

Yes...just been reading up about the DPF not getting up to temp and can soot up...are all vehicle with DPF prone to this or just VW.

would you say that 30 miles of dual carriage be ok for a DPF diesel???

was the wing part of VW recall then ?...surprised that VW replaced your wing and had it painted for free!!!

not sure about the DPF clearing out, I just didn't fancy taking the chance.

The wing wasn't a recall, it's just a common issue and I don't think VW want there cars running about rusty. You can google it and there are loads of threads on cars being done.

They did both front wings too.

all the dpf seem prone to blocking up if the car is not driven right.no good if you just potter around town.ive had loads of cars in with blocked filter some as low as 40k and once blocked even a realy good long motorway blast only clears part of it out and soon comes back on.

DPF & EGR delete and remap, about £450 but saves a shed load of hassle!

Injector issues too, all common vag diesel issues.. I'm sick of em! :lol:

DPF & EGR delete and remap, about £450 but saves a shed load of hassle!

Injector issues too, all common vag diesel issues.. I'm sick of em! :lol:

Any company you can suggest that can do this and will it pass the MOT emission test etc with this done...Its looks like instead of a GT might be best to stretch to a GTI MK5 instead PETROL.

Be a little cautious of going down the DPF removal route. A removed / non functioning DPF became an MOT failure since April last year. VOSA are even using cameras to check for DPF removal at their road checks.

Any company you can suggest that can do this and will it pass the MOT emission test etc with this done...Its looks like instead of a GT might be best to stretch to a GTI MK5 instead PETROL.

If your after out and out performance then get a gti. Mine looks the same as a gti, doesn't go as well but I can get over 60mpg!

All depends where in the world you are! Avon Tuning just outside of Bristol will crack open the DPF, strip the innards and replace so it visibly looks untouched. They assured me once remapped the emmissions are still well within MOT limits.

Having said that, unless you're exceeding 15k miles p/a, there's no way I'd consider a problematic diesel over a GTI!

I wouldn't say problematic (touching wood!), I've done 50k miles in mine and its never let me down. Its on nearly 98k and still going strong.

All depends where in the world you are! Avon Tuning just outside of Bristol will crack open the DPF, strip the innards and replace so it visibly looks untouched. They assured me once remapped the emmissions are still well within MOT limits.

Having said that, unless you're exceeding 15k miles p/a, there's no way I'd consider a problematic diesel over a GTI!

Agreed but GTIs are problematic as well!

We've had our 170GT since new in 2006 (one of the first in the country) and it's been spot on. Never an advisory, never a problem with the DPF and it does 54mpg without driving it like a granny. It's not a high miler either. It only ticked over 62k last week. Only fault was the injectors which were covered under warranty. You can't believe all the negative press out there, people only report problems and not that their car is working perfectly normally.

My 2.0 140 Leon needs a turbo.

My brothers 2.0 140 A3 needs a turbo.

My old 1.9 mk5 needed a cam & injectors.

My wife's 1.9 115 mk4 needs a turbo.

My mates 1.9 b6 Passat needs a turbo.

Vag diesels are junk! :lol: