deano46

Problems starting when engine is warm. HELP!

I have had my car off the road for a whole year whilst paying for wedding. Trying to get it running again.

Before I SORN the car last year it's had a starting problem that has gradually got worse.

It starts 1st time when the car is cold, ticks over nicely, if I shut it off once it's warm it won't start again. It doesn't try to start or crank over, but it does make a loud squeeky/whiring sound even when the dash lights are on but not cranking.

It's had a new starter and the battery and alternator are good.

My 1st thoughts were to just get it to a garage, but is there anything simple I'm missing?

All suggestions welcome before I get charged a fortune to fault find and run diagnostic checks on VAGCOM, or worse begin replacing parts aimlessly hoping to fix this and get her back on the road.

Whiring sound is coming from engine bay and my mates suggested it sounded like a dolphin being murdered.

Screeching could be the aux water pump. Mine made a weird noise but I've not been present during a dolphin bashing for a long time so can't compare.

Nope. The aux water pump is not driven off a belt or anything similar - it just sits in line in the cooling system and is an electric motor. Have you been able to work out which side of the engine the noise is coming from?

Mine did this . I replaced the blue temp sender , the one that tells the ECU , what to do . Mine was registering 37d all the time .

Easy fix mate . There are three in the thermostat housing , on the block , right hand side when you are looking at the bay . Best to replace all three while your at it .

Be surprised if they're not all still available from a main VW dealer / TPS :)

Yep still available from TPS . Make sure the old rubber 'o' rings come out with the senders . I left one in by mistake , when the car was up to tempreture it blew it out of the block . New rings and plastic circlips should come with it .

Yep , while your at it , stick a new stat in . Also the rad sender that sits in the rad . When I said housing I meant underneath the plastic cover , where the senders are found .

Started the car again tonight before I get the bits ordered and have a look again. The loud whiring noise is definitely coming from the auxiliary water pump. Would a faulty pump effect starting when warm?

This pump assists the main pump . I doubt if this would cause your problem . I feel your pain , intermitant problems are hard to find , I know ! .

Just curious, if you don't turn it off when it's warm, does the temperature go up and the fans kick in. Then when the fans turn themselves off, if you turn your engine off then you should have the auxiliary pump kick in for a minute or so.

If all the above works it's something else, temp senders/ broken wire etc to ecu, maybe.