ger040

g60 bore wear?

this may be a simple answer but iam new to the g60 engine

I have removed the head from my g60 engine but now I have began to inspect the main block

the car ran poorly due to a faulty lambda (broken wires) and there has been what I would call

a small soot up of the piston tops and the top of the block and on the head the the valve ports.

a quick rub with a scotch cloth quickly removes this but at the top of the block I can feel a small

ridge with my finger on all four bores (about 10 - 15 mm down) but below this I can still see the honing marks?

is this block on its way out and in need of a rebore?

where is the best source of information for the g60 engine or is this forum the best source.

many thanks

sorry forgot to add car has covered only 108k with extensive history both dealer and private

A slight wear ridge is inevitable on an engine of this age/ mileage. It's not necessarily terminal though. Have you had a compression check in the past? Does the engine burn much oil ?

Bores spec should be 81.01mm +/-0.08mm according to Bentley.

You'll always get a ridge at the top and it's usually not huge.

thanks for the reply guys

I wish I had done a compression test prior to removal!

the engine did not smell of oil once running but did stink of fuel and even on idle it consumed petrol at an alarming rate!

but I this I believe was due to the faulty lambda wiring causing the engine to run rich (read about this on here before)

the last engine I worked on was a mk2 16v golf which had covered almost 140k and the bores were completely smooth with no ridge at all?

and as you are aware the 16v engine has to be worked hard to perform!

just picked up your thread gti jamo - mine is also a red g60 and looking at your engine block the pistons are black

just as mine is.

Edited by ger040

Yeah that engine got broken up. I still have the empty block but my melted piston scored the bore. I might get it rebored at some point.

If you can measure your bores and are within tolerance then it should be fine. Aslong as there was no excessive oil consumption. You planning on rebuilding it? The ridge isn't much to worry about if it's in minimal.

Yeah that engine got broken up. I still have the empty block but my melted piston scored the bore. I might get it rebored at some point.

If you can measure your bores and are within tolerance then it should be fine. Aslong as there was no excessive oil consumption. You planning on rebuilding it? The ridge isn't much to worry about if it's in minimal.

Plans are just to get it running again - the car has not run in over a year - took the sump off last night to find it full of gunk!

it looks just like stale oil sludge with a silver/grey effect through it? never seen anything like this before and the crank has a slight rust to the end of it.