Jamie

911 Alternatives

Ok so following on from my previous thread, let's say you had £25k to spend on a car what would you choose? You don't have to buy just one car, nor do you have to spend all the money on a new car - you could buy a new set of rims for your Corrado and blow the rest on prostitutes and cocaine if you wish :lol:

So come on - where's your money going?

Hmmm a tough question that Jamie - especially as im so bloody fickle that i like many cars but would likely never actually buy one

those i would part with my cash for are very limited & most out of my range & £25K

however, a very quick thinking & i would consider, in no particular order.....

ploughing the lot into my VR - turbo, turbo, turbo! AP racing brakes, wheels, KW V3's, glass out pimp quality respray in blackberry, 4 wheel drive

n3p's Storm turbo & then concours the VR

Noble M12 gto

BMW E30 M3

BMW 850 CSI

Lancia Delta HF Integrale

Porsche 911 circa 78 - 80

Porsche 930 Turbo Flatnose

old skool Ford Mustang Fastback

VW bay window or split screen panel van

out of the above, if i had to choose just one it would possibly be a flip between the noble or the E30 M3....or id have such a headache trying to choose i would never be able to make a decision lol

As I said in the other thread, the MK4 Supra would be hard to beat. You could buy an immaculate, late model 6 speed manual twin turbo car for £15k. Or for £25k, you could buy one with a decent turbo conversion, running anywhere between 500hp and 1500hp...

Otherwise, the Audi S2 and RS2 are great cars. Beautiful 5 cylinder turbo engine, and also very tunable.

The Mazda FD3S RX7 is definitely a rival to the Porsche in the looks and handling department, though they are known to be temperamental. £25k would buy you a low miles, highly desirable final 'Spirit R type A' model. Or if you want one with more reliability, for £25k you could build one with an LS V8 engine, which is quite a common conversion.

Tough one...

Depends if you're talking something you want to put away and use occasionally in the hope that it accumulates in value (or at least doesn't depreciate) or whether you're not bothered about depreciation and just want to use it now.

A quick list cars I'd love to own in that kind of price range..?

Ariel Atom

BMW E92 (?) M3

997 911

Jaguar XKR

Audi RS6 Avant (the V10 Bi-Turbo one!)

Mustang Shelby Gt500 (awesome one in red on Autotrader!)

:)

You wont get the 996 Turbo for that, £30k min for a decent 996 turbo.

I just went through this whole thing and budget was between £25-£30k max. I was looking for something fun, a bit special and would not loose money rapidly.

A lot of the cars listed above were in my list i.e. 997, 996 Turbo, 996C4s, Noble, Lancia Integrale, Audi RS2, V10 RS6, UrQuattro, Cerbera, T350 TVR and a few others.

I wanted one that I could use without worrying about really affecting value so nothing too precious so a few were discounted. I also didn't realize how much a lot of these cars had increased in recent years so it was going to be a good car but with nothing left for looking after it. Overall I would say they all had their benefits but all had potential real risks against them that only you can really evaluate for you. Try as many as you can as I think some are not what you imagine them to be like. Goes without saying but its a big investment so you have to like driving it.

I would say if your budget is £25k get a car around £20 and keep the rest for looking after it. They will all over time potential cost a good few grand a year to maintain with some potential very big bills so keep that in mind.

I decided to keep my S4 (was going to trade it in for these cars) as it is such a good daily car and go for something £10k max which can still get you a lot of car probably just as much fun and less worrying to run. If you do decide to go to around this you have TVR Chimera, Lotus Elise, Boxster and a few others.

I would however totally recommend a B5 RS4 as I love mine to bits. You could get a really good sorted and sensibly tuned one for £15k.

What are the RS4's like to run / maintain? What sort of money would you need per year to keep one in good shape?

A good 944 turbo and stick it away, I think these are going to see some serious price rises in the very near future, in fact they have been on the rise for a little while already.

I pondered between a 944 or the Corrado, and I have to say, the Corrado has been pretty reliable but I do still think I wish I had bought a 944 instead (not a turbo btw, the toy budget didnt stretch to that)

You could do what we did, pay 25k for an Audi A5 and watch it squirt away 2k a year in depreciation!

Dougie

I looked at the 944 S2's and 968's as well. They are supposed to be very nice to drive and as you say getting hard to find so prices are on the up. As an investment they are probably a very good bet and they are easy to work on. They do have some rust issues starting to appear as well though.

B5 RS4 is relatively cheap to look after, it really depends on what you buy. Turbos, cams and clutch are the big jobs and its an engine out job for turbo's but that in reality is relatively easy so don't be scared. Saying that they are relatively bullet proof if warmed up and cooled properly and oil changed regularly. I know of one on standard turbo with up to 160k miles.

Brakes can be expensive so get one with uprated one, same with exhaust. Suspension is okay, bits are still available and we have a resident UK breaker so that's no issue. Cambelt is expensive, I just had that done along with all gear and diff oils and it was £1300. Cam inspection should be donw before buying. Mine other that the cambelt has probably cost me £500 a year if that to run not including insurance, fuel or tax. Its the tuning parts that are very expensive so get one that's had brakes, exhaust and remap and you have a very very capable and solid car.

I have quite fancied TVR's for a while now, particularly the Tuscan, though don't think I could stomach the running costs/ unreliability !

Jim mentioned the e92 M3 , 25k would get you a good one, however big bills are going to be a possibility with anything like this.

But I suppose that's not the attitude to have or we would never change our cars!

A mk1 focus RS & a caterham 7 should cost around the £25k and will still be worth that when you've had enough.

Hahaha G0ldf1nger I thought it was just me that was like that about certain cars - I really like TVRs and Range Rover Sports, would I ever buy one? Not in a million years. Same as M3s - awesome cars but just never really done it for me. I don't really understand worrying about depreciation it's not something I've ever considered. If I want something I buy it I couldn't care less what it will be worth when I'm finished with it.

Although I've kind of got my heart set on a 911, like Mic - I change my mind more often than my pants so who knows what I'll end up with? RS4, Chesil Speedster, 54 Chevy, 32 Ford Roadster, Turbo'd AWD Corrado, the list is endless... :lol:

Edited by Jamie

im not sure what i'd buy, but there are some pig ugly cars being suggested ;-)

Went for this this summer. Hopefully a keeper for life - been after it for twenty years.

Right colour, right spec.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82047[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82048[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82049[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82050[/ATTACH]

Went for this this summer. Hopefully a keeper for life - been after it for twenty years.

Right colour, right spec.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82047[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82048[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82049[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82050[/ATTACH]

A Griff... Nice car..

Don't judge too quickly, but if I had money to burn I would have one of these in the garage. Just reminds me of touring cars.

81979ab0d271f6971d3e14546fe66636.jpg

Don't judge too quickly, but if I had money to burn I would have one of these in the garage. Just reminds me of touring cars.

81979ab0d271f6971d3e14546fe66636.jpg

is that an 850 T5R Joe?

but with aftermarket wheels?

am i right they only made 250 of the R so as to enter it in BTCC?

the estate version of the R was a monster & had awesome grey flat 6 spoke alloys

Hahaha G0ldf1nger I thought it was just me that was like that about certain cars - I really like TVRs and Range Rover Sports, would I ever buy one? Not in a million years. Same as M3s - awesome cars but just never really done it for me. I don't really understand worrying about depreciation it's not something I've ever considered. If I want something I buy it I couldn't care less what it will be worth when I'm finished with it.

Although I've kind of got my heart set on a 911, like Mic - I change my mind more often than my pants so who knows what I'll end up with? RS4, Chesil Speedster, 54 Chevy, 32 Ford Roadster, Turbo'd AWD Corrado, the list is endless... :lol:

Ha ha no m8 i think there are a few of us lol

if money was no object then id need a multi storey car park but when it is limited oh my word i would be fickle in choosing

i also think along the lines of that as long as you feel you got your moneys worth of enjoyment out of a car then that is the main thing & money doesn't come into the equation much - however, personally, i would never buy a car brand new as the depreciation they suffer is like throwing your £ notes in a fire

plus i also find that those cars i really lust for i would need to be a millionaire & preferably my own race track to ever own them....

Pagani Zonda

Konigsegg of some form

Porsche 993 GT2

Porsche 356

Ferrari 288 GTO

Ferrari F40

Ford Mustang GT500 Eleanor

Ford RS200

Metro 6R4

Twin turbo 4WD rado for a sub 10 second 1/4 mile :D

im off for a dream & a bathroom break ;) lol

Would also like a 911 probably a 996 C2 but other option (sensible - Lol) - Alfa 156 GTA - Just need to win lottery so I buy a bigger garage with attached house! Although don't do the lottery so that's out!

is that an 850 T5R Joe?

but with aftermarket wheels?

am i right they only made 250 of the R so as to enter it in BTCC?

the estate version of the R was a monster & had awesome grey flat 6 spoke alloys

Yes mate, absolutely right about BTCC, I think they made a few more than 250 but I'm probably wrong. 250 is the minimum to homologate the cars isn't it? Not sure.

2.4l turbos, would be interesting to see how they stack up against a modern focus ST. They also did the later model S70R in a strange bronze colour that I quite liked.

I think the photo might be of a S70R rather than the 850.