northG60

G60 multi-electric gremlin? help?

Hi all

so basically my Sunroof(not lighting up the button) , heater blower (all speeds) and window wipers front (all speeds) and rear are not currently working

I've checked all my fuses and they all fine and ive just replaced the relay position 4 (originally numbered 18 on the relay) with a VW part and its still not working.

my electric windows , cd player and headlights are all still working

what would be the first port of call after replacing the relay i find it hard to believe that all of the above motors would pack in all at the same time ?

any thoughts guys?

thought i would add that i've been having this on and off problem for a year or so and it seemed that the relay just wiggled itself loose and would then work again once pressed back in.

cheers

Stewart

Edited by northG60

Try swapping the fuses totally. When I fitted my heated seats I refitted my fuse box and had an issue with headlight circuit. The fuse appeared ok and lights would occasionally work when fuse box was removed/wiggled. After an hour of so of fitting/unfitting of the fuse box and thinking I'd disturbed wiring, the fuse was checked in more detail and discovered it had a hairline crack.

Could be a few things, as you have already identified most of these bits sit on 'X' contact power line in the relay box and have power removed from them when the start position is selected on the ignition by the relay at position 4 on the relay box.

To rule out an X contact relay fault check to see if the rear window heater works as that is another 'X' contact controlled item.

The fresh air blower is powered through plug 'Q' on the back of the relay plate - this also provides power to the glove box light worth looking to see if that illuminates.

Sunroof and rear wipe receive power through relay at position 2 on the relay plate, this may be a separate relay failure to confuse you.

So if the rear window heater does not work I would be looking at an 'X' contact wiring issue, get the fusebox out of its housing and have a good look at the plugs to ensure seated - make sure all the plugs are locked in place and retained by the slider on the back on the fusebox too.

been trying to sort this for a while now bloody thing

so the rear wiper, rear heater ,fog lights are not working.

basically the only thing that works are spoiler, electric windows, cd player, headlights, rear lights, and indicators

I've had a look at the fuse board and everything seems to be seated fine and I tried pushing everything back into place but no luck....

would like to get this sorted before the car goes for new paint :( however I don't want a huge bill from an auto electrician

You're missing either an earth somewhere, or I'd go for the fusebox as the culprit - are they definitely seated correctly at the back? All the looms terminate on blocks behind the box, and as said above are held in with a plastic retaining clip. This is often broken. Also check your radio and alarm wiring for shorts. There are a couple of earth points behind the lower passenger side dash and near the fusebox - check that they are secure and clean.

Probably best using a multimeter and seeing which one of the power rails is missing, and looking at one fault at a time.

Don't think there will be one definite answer to what the problem is.

not very helpful for people searching this issue in the future but i was driving it the other day and everything just started working again.

im going to have all my earth points a good going over and try to avoid this happening again.

I love it when an electrical fault "fixes itself"! - you'll have nightmares trying to track it down though if it's intermittent. At least it's all working again.