Wayne2015

Help Wayne2015 decide next Cheap, Reliable but Fun workhorse!

I was more referring to the 325 E36, than the coupe specifically ;)

:thumbleft:

Is it rear wheel drive?

For your budget I really don't think you could go wrong with a mk1 Octavia VRS. 1.8T so fairly quick but also reliable and parts relatively cheap. Very good build quality for the price and plenty of cheap little upgrades you can do for not much money. 5-door hatchback or estate versions available within your budget and they're surprisingly good to drive. Very safe with 4 airbags as standard, nice big brakes (312 fronts and 256 rears) and they really do look good.

I'm perhaps a bit biased as I owned a 2004 Octavia estate for the 18 months, which is the longest I've ever kept a car. Mine was a PD130 L&K estate so not a 1.8T but for a big car it handled really nicely, especially after I chucked a set of R32 wishbone bushes on it. I remapped it and fitted the same brakes as a VRS and it was an awesome car. Still going strong with its new owner. I changed it for an 8L S3 so I can also speak with some confidence about the 1.8T (so far so good in that dept!)

Got to be better than a Fiesta?!

For your budget I really don't think you could go wrong with a mk1 Octavia VRS. 1.8T so fairly quick but also reliable and parts relatively cheap. Very good build quality for the price and plenty of cheap little upgrades you can do for not much money. 5-door hatchback or estate versions available within your budget and they're surprisingly good to drive. Very safe with 4 airbags as standard, nice big brakes (312 fronts and 256 rears) and they really do look good.

I'm perhaps a bit biased as I owned a 2004 Octavia estate for the 18 months, which is the longest I've ever kept a car. Mine was a PD130 L&K estate so not a 1.8T but for a big car it handled really nicely, especially after I chucked a set of R32 wishbone bushes on it. I remapped it and fitted the same brakes as a VRS and it was an awesome car. Still going strong with its new owner. I changed it for an 8L S3 so I can also speak with some confidence about the 1.8T (so far so good in that dept!)

Got to be better than a Fiesta?!

Lol

Cheers Tom! :thumbleft:

Funny enough there is a Mk1 RED Octavia with LPG :) on eBay now - did consider it until I noticed "NO MOT" :(

Just ended!

Screenshot_2015-08-07-08-25-49_zpsov5vczje.png

Edited by Wayne2015

Cheap runabout to last a few years, a nice MK2 Golf 1.3 or a nice MK3 GTI 8v will suffice. Both available for around £600-1200. Gives you a bit of cash to get a few bits sorted etc.

When I needed a cheapo run about for a month I got a MK3 Golf VR6 for £400 with a month and half MOT - sold it on for £400 without MOT when I was done :)

Cheap runabout to last a few years, a nice MK2 Golf 1.3 or a nice MK3 GTI 8v will suffice. Both available for around £600-1200. Gives you a bit of cash to get a few bits sorted etc.

When I needed a cheapo run about for a month I got a MK3 Golf VR6 for £400 with a month and half MOT - sold it on for £400 without MOT when I was done :)

Lol

No more fixing / tinkering please!

I had my fair share already!!! :eek:

Haha 😂 I read the vr post and didn't realise you'd sold it until after I posted lol! Happy hunting though mate! I just picked up a TT for a little fun, I use a mk3 golf estate diesel for everyday as it cost me £250 and flew through mot... My Corrado is just being smartened up the next few weeks

Haha I read the vr post and didn't realise you'd sold it until after I posted lol! Happy hunting though mate! I just picked up a TT for a little fun, I use a mk3 golf estate diesel for everyday as it cost me £250 and flew through mot... My Corrado is just being smartened up the next few weeks

Lol

No worries - I read your comment on my VR6 thread and thought "wot?" :eek:

Lol

Enjoy your cars :)

The Octavia does seem to be a good suggestion, even a 150hp 20VT non VRS one is good shout as you avoid the vrs (IMO) gash interior.

Have you considered a Pug 306 HDI? Those things are like cockroaches & practically indestructible whilst actually being good handling cars and if you get a Meridian spec you get half leather/air con etc.

The Octavia does seem to be a good suggestion, even a 150hp 20VT non VRS one is good shout as you avoid the vrs (IMO) gash interior.

Have you considered a Pug 306 HDI? Those things are like cockroaches & practically indestructible whilst actually being good handling cars and if you get a Meridian spec you get half leather/air con etc.

Lol

Not cheap enough to maintain!

That's daves16v's car. Have a look at his members gallery thread to get some idea of how much TLC has gone into that car!

it is a bargain wayne!!

go & buy it......now! lol

lots of very nice bespoke shiny parts on it, extremely well maintained & a class winner

how tempted are you m8? pmsl

I know guys

I seen Dave's car in the metal - lots of nice shiny mods :)

I must restrain myself!!!!

I know guys

I seen Dave's car in the metal - lots of nice shiny mods :)

I must restrain myself!!!!

don't refrain....gain!!!

Someone buy my valver and I'll have it in a breath.

Stuart

Just buy it now - so u can loan to me when not in use :)